GK & Current Affairs: February 13, 2015
1. Which of the following banks has launched ‘Pocket’, India’s first digital bank on mobile phones?
Answer: ICICI Bank
The Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation of India (ICICI) Bank, India’s largest private sector bank has launched India’s first digital Bank on mobile phones, Pockets. This service will enable users to instantly send money to any e-mail id, mobile number, friends on Facebook and bank account. As per the bank statement anyone including those who are not customers of ICICI Bank, can easily download the e-wallet from Google Playstore, fund it from any bank account in the country and start transacting immediately.
2. Which among the following cities is the venue for the first national tribal festival “VANAJ”?
Answer: New Delhi
New Delhi is hosting the first national tribal festival VANAJ. The festival will see the active participation of artistes from across the country. Approximately 900 participants from all over the country would be participating in the event.
3. Which one of the following committees has recently submitted its interim report on the corporate bankruptcy legal framework in India?
[B]T K Vishwanathan Committee
[C]Shyam Sundar Committee
[D]Mukesh Verma Committee
Answer: T K Vishwanathan Committee
The Committee under T K Viswanathan, former Secretary General of Lok Sabha and former Union Law Secretary has submitted its interim report on the corporate bankruptcy legal framework in India to the government. The panel suggested changes in different legislations including the Companies Act (CA) 2013 for development of an effective corporate insolvency regime to improve India’s rank in ease of doing business index.
4. In which of the following years Rashtriya Khel Protsahana Puraskar scheme was launched?
The union sports ministry launched the Rashtriya Khel Protsahana Puraskar scheme in 2009. The scheme aims to promote involvement of corporate and institutional boards in sports.
5. Recently, Facebook and which one of the following mobile operators have partnered to start internet.org that provide free internet to mobile users in India?
Reliance Communications and Facebook have partnered to bring Internet.org to India. Internet.org, a service which facilitates subscribers to free internet although only across their list of 33 websites and services.
6. The bald eagle is found predominantly in __?
Answer: North America
The bald eagle is found only in North America. Its range includes most of Canada and Alaska, all of the contiguous United States, and northern Mexico. It is found near large bodies of open water with an abundant food supply and old-growth trees for nesting. The bald eagle is both the national bird and national animal of the United States of America.
7. Who is the head of the panel constituted to suggest a framework to assess Corporate Social Responsibilities (CSR) activities?
[D]Onkar S Kanwar
Answer: Anil Baijal
The union government has constituted a panel to suggest a framework to assess Corporate Social Responsibilities (CSR) activities. The committee will be headed by Anil Baijal, former union home secretary. The panel will evaluate money spent on CSR activities by the companies and will also give suitable methodologies for monitoring compliance of the CSR provisions.
8. The Vembanad Kol Lake which is South India’s largest wetland ecosystem, is located in which of the following states?
The Vembanad Kol Lake is in Kerala. It is one of the longest and largest body of wetland in the country. It is home to more than 20,000 waterfowl, and a variety of fin and shell fish. Vembanad is a hotbed for livelihood activities including fishing, agriculture, tourism, and lime shell collection among others.
9. What is India’s ranking in the recently released international intellectual property (IP) index?
India has been placed at 29th rank among the 30 countries in the international intellectual property (IP) index released by U.S. Chamber of Commerce’s Global Intellectual Property Center (GIPC). US has been placed at the top in the list and Thailand at last position.
10. The Wohlwill process is an electrolytic process used to refine ____?
The Wohlwill process refers to an electrolytic process for refining gold using a hydrochloric-acid electrolyte. The process gives gold of 99.999% pure, and of higher purity than gold produced by the other common refining method.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|