GK & Current Affairs: September 19, 20, 2014
1. At which among the following places, there are NO headquarters / main offices of United Nations?
The headquarters of United Nations are located at Manhattan, New York City, while main offices are situated in Geneva, Nairobi and Vienna.
2. Which veteran Indian cricketer has recently been conferred the lifetime achievement award at the House of Lords in London?
[D]Navjot Singh Sidhu
Kapil Dev has been conferred Lifetime Achievement Award at House of Lords, London. The Award is constituted by Indo-European Business Forum was given to the former India World Cup winning captain.
3. Who among the following was not a part of the famous Young Turks group of Indian painters which started in 1941?
M.F. Hussain was a leading member of the Progressive Artists’ Group, Bombay which came into being six years after the Young Turks held their first exhibition in 1941. The members of Young Turks were: P.T. Reddy, A.A. Majeed, M.Bhople, M.Y Kulkarni and C. Baptista.
4. Union Cabinet in a recent decision decided to shut down six sick Central Public Sector Undertakings (CPSEs). Which of the following is not a part of the six?
Union Ministry of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises proposed the Union Cabinet to shut down six sick Central Public Sector Undertakings (CPSEs). These include HMT Watches, HMT Barings, HMT Chinar Watch, Hindustan Photo Films, Hindustan Cables and Tungbhadra Steel.
5. A sizeable proportion of the world’s population lives in Urban slums. Which among the following countries accounts for the largest fraction of its urban population living in slums?
6. Sourav Ghosal, Harinder Pal Singh Sandhu, Kush Kumar and Mahesh Manaonkar Mahesh have bagged a gold medal in Asian Games 2014. What game do they represent?
Indian men’s squash team made history by winning a gold medal beating Malaysia at Yeorumul Squash Court.
7. The National Academy for Athletics was recently inaugurated at__?
National Academy for Athletics has been launched by the Union Ministry for Sports under PPP model.
8. The Lycodon Odishiiis a new species discovered recently in Odisha is of __?
Lycodon Odishii has been recently discovered in Odisha as the new species of snake. The species is named after the coastal state.
9. What is the name of the student leader who has led theon-going pro-democracy protests at Hong Kong?
Joshua Wong, 17 years of age is regarded as the fieriest political activists of his times. He is the founder of pro-democracy student group Scholarism. He has been labelled as an extremist by China’s state media.
10. The unexpected eruption of Mount Ontake, which is said to be a favourite hiking destination, has left dozens dead. In which country, this eruption took place?
Mount Ontake had last erupted in 1979. Ever since it has been lying dormant and the eruption took everyone by surprise as there was no prior warning issued by the state.