GK & Current Affairs: May 14, 15, 2014
1. The proposed “Ken-Betwa” river linking project is in which state?
The Ken-Betwa River linking project is a part of proposed river linking project in Madhya Pradesh.
2. The “Ring Spot Virus” is the most destructive disease of ___?
The Ring Spot Virus is the most destructive disease of Papaya. The RSV is transmitted among papaya plants by mechanical activities like pruning, as its transmitted through the sap.
3. Which one of the following is the main objective of the “Green India Mission”?
[A]To enhance carbon sinks through large scale afforestation
[B]To enhance the utilisation of renewable energy
[C]To promote organic farming by reducing use of fertilisers
[D]To phase out use of greenhouse gas
To enhance carbon sinks through large scale afforestation
The Green India Mission is part of the Centre’s plan to fight climate change by increasing the forest cover by 10 million hectares in the next 10 years at a cost of Rs 46,000 crore. It is one of the eight missions under the National Action Plan on Climate Change.
4. Which among the following countries is the biggest oil producer in Africa?
Nigeria is Africa’s biggest oil producer with about 2.2 million barrels being produced a day.
5. The “Bab-el-Mandeb” strait connects Red Sea to ____?
[C]Gulf of Aden
Gulf of Aden
The Bab-el-Mandeb is a strait located between Yemen on the Arabian Peninsula, and Djibouti and Eritrea in the Horn of Africa. It connects the Red Sea to the Gulf of Aden.
6. The “Serra dos Carajas Hill” world’s largest reservoir of iron ore is located in ____?
Carajas Iron ore mine, world’s largest iron ore mine, is located in the state of Para in Northern Brazil.
7. Which city will host the 2015 European Games the inaugural edition of the European Games?
The 2015 European Games will be the inaugural edition of the European Games, a multi-sport event for European athletes. It will be held in Baku, Azerbaijan in 2015.
8. After Crimea, a referendum for independence was held in which two pro-Russian eastern regions of the Ukraine?
[A]Donetsk and Luhansk
[B]Kharkiv and Donetsk
[C]Luhansk and Makiivka
[D]Mariupol and Donetsk
Donetsk and Luhansk
9. Recently, the first multilateral talk on Lethal Autonomous Weapons (LARs) or Killer robots was held at ___?
The first multilateral talk on Lethal Autonomous Weapons or killer robots was held at the United Nations in Geneva from May 13 to 16. As many as 117 states party to the Convention on Conventional Weapons have attended the four-day meeting of experts to discuss the legality and moral issues surrounding killer bots.
10. Currently, which of the following states has highest number of GI certified products in the country?
Karnataka with 32 GI certified products topped the national list followed by Tamil Nadu (24), Andhra Pradesh (22) and Kerala (20).