GK & Current Affairs : March 9-10, 2014
1. With reference to elections in India, how many delimitation commissions have been set up so far to redraw the boundaries of various assembly and Lokasabha constituencies?
Delimitation commissions have been set up four times in the past in 1952, 1963, 1973 and 2002 under Delimitation Commission acts of 1952, 1962, 1972 and 2002.
2. The Union government has recently launched the “Maulana Azad Sehat Scheme” a health scheme for ____?
[A] Minority Women’s
[B] Minority Students
[C] Minority Senior Citizens
[D] Minority Disabled Person’s
The government launched the “Maulana Azad Sehat Scheme” which would see a “Sehat Card” being issued to each minority student enrolled in institutions aided by Maulana Azad Education Foundation. Under this scheme students in the age group of 5-14 years will be provided with a health card which will entitle them to free check-ups twice a year at the place where they are studying.
3. Among the following plant species, which one is widely grown for its sweet leaves as sweetener and sugar substitute?
The species Stevia rebaudiana or simply Stevia, is widely grown for its sweet leaves as sweetener and sugar substitute. With its steviol glycoside extracts having up to 300 times the sweetness of sugar; stevia has attracted attention with the rise in demand for low-carbohydrate, low-sugar sweeteners.
4. With which among the following neighbours, India recently conducted the Ex-Surya Kiran Drills VI joint military exercise?
[A] Sri Lanka
The armies of India and Nepal are jointly conducting the military exercise, known as Ex-Surya Kiran Drills VI, at Saljhandi in Rupandehi district, Nepal. In the two week long exercise, both the armies will work to upgrade their practical and principle aspects of jungle warfare, anti-insurgency operations and rescue operations.
5. Which among the following team is the winner of 68th Santosh Trophy for Football for 2014?
On March 10, Mizoram has lifted the 68th Santosh Trophy for Football . They defeated Railways 3 – nil in the final played at Siliguri ,West Bengal.
6. According to the latest data released by Central Statistics Office (CSO), which among the following states has emerged as fastest growing state during 2012-13?
[A] Madhya Pradesh
The latest data released by the Central Statistics Office shows that Bihar is the fastest growing State with its Gross State Domestic Product growing at 15.05 per cent during 2012-13. It is the only State to clock a double-digit growth rate. According to the CSO data, Gujarat ranked sixth with growth rate at 7.96 per cent, behind Bihar and Madhya Pradesh with 9.89 per cent, Goa 8.47 per cent, Kerala 8.24 per cent and Odisha 8.09 per cent. The all-India growth rate in 2012-13 was 4.47 per cent.
7. What is the name of the recently commissioned 200th ship constructed at Goa Shipyard Limited?
[A] INS Tribhuvan
[B] INS Sumedha
[C] INS Sunayana
[D] INS Saryu
INS Sumedha, the third Offshore Patrol Vessel designed and constructed by Goa Shipyard Limited was commissioned at Goa shipyard in Vasco in March 2014. INS Sumedha is the third of its class (Saryu class) of vessels and the largest patrolling vessel and marks the 200th ship constructed by Goa shipyard. It is suitable for monitoring sea lanes of communication, defence of offshore oil installations and other national offshore assets, escorting ships and fleet support operations
8. In March 2014, the India-Pakistan International Trade Fair was organized at __?
[C] New Delhi
Five-day India-Pakistan International Trade Fair was organized in Desh Bhagat Yaadgar Hall in Jalandhar in March 2014.
9. Dehing Patkai Wildlife sanctuary is located in which one of the following states?
[B] Arunachal Pradesh
Dehing Patkai, is the only rainforest in Assam. It is located in the Dibrugarh and Tinsukia districts of Assam.
10. The Beaufort Sea is a part of which one of the following Oceans?
[A] Pacific Ocean
[B] Atlantic Ocean
[C] Arctic Ocean
[D] Indian Ocean
The Beaufort Sea is a marginal sea of the Arctic Ocean, located north of the Northwest Territories, west of Canada’s Arctic Islands. The sea is named after hydrographer Sir Francis Beaufort.