Indian Geography Questions (MCQs) for UPSC, State PCS and SSC Examinations
Indian Geography Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) Quiz for State and UPSC Civil Services Examinations. Objective Questions on Indian Geography for competitive examinations. These questions are part of GKToday’s 35000+ MCQs Bank Course in GKToday Android App
1. The northernmost point of India is known as:
[A] Indira Heights
[B] Indira Col
[C] Indira Point
[D] None of the above
Correct Answer: B [ Indira Col ]
The northernmost point of India lies in the state of Jammu and Kashmir and it is known as Indira Col. The Indira Col (altitude 5,764 metres) is a mountain pass located on the Indira Ridge in the Siachen Muztagh in the Karakoram Range.
2. In which among the following states is located the Banihal Pass?
[A] Jammu & Kashmir
[B] Himachal Pradesh
Correct Answer: A [Jammu & Kashmir]
Banihal Pass is a mountain pass across the Pir Panjal Range at 2,832 m (9,291 ft) maximum elevation. This mountain range connects the Kashmir Valley in the Indian state Jammu and Kashmir to the outer Himalaya and plains to the south.
3. Which of the following two rivers empty in Gulf of Khambhat?
[A] Narmada and Tapti rivers
[B] Jhelum and Tapti
[C] Jhelum and Ravi
[D] Tapti and Godavari
Correct Answer: A [Narmada and Tapti rivers]
4. Jawai Dam, which is built across Luni river, is located in which of the following states?
[D] Uttar Pradesh
Correct Answer: B [Rajasthan]
The Jawai Bandh is a dam built across the Jawai river, a tributary of Luni river near Sumerpur town in Pali District of Rajasthan. The dam has capacity of 7887.5 million cubic feet and covers an area of 102,315 acres of cultivable command area. Its height is about 61.25 feet. Sei dam and Kalibor dam are the feeder dams of the Jawai dam.
5. Which among the following is the latest refinery established?
Correct Answer: B [Panipat]
Digboi is India’s first oil refinery. It was established in 1899 whereas Panipat in 2002, Trombay in 1955 and vishakha-patnam in 1957.So Panipat is latest among them.
6. Which of the following is the main reason behind the earthquakes of India?
[A] Tectonic movement
[B] Volcanic activity
[C] Tropical monsoonic climate
[D] Underground landslide
Correct Answer: A [Tectonic movement]
The main reason for the earthquakes in India is the tectonic movement. The Indian plate is continuously hitting at Asia plate at a rate of approximately 47 mm/year (anticlockwise).
7. Which one among the following passes connects Lhasa with Ladakh?
[D] Lanak La
Correct Answer: D [Lanak La]
Lanak La pass connects Ladakh with Lhasa. It is located at an elevation of 5466 meters in Aksai-China (Ladakh).
8. Dhoopgarh, the highest peak of Madhya Pradesh, is located at which of the following ranges?
[A] Vindhyayan Range
[B] Ajanta Range
[C] Satpura Range
[D] Maikal Range
Correct Answer: C [Satpura Range]
Dhupgarh is the highest point of the Mahadeo Hills in Satpura Range.
9. Which of the following hill stations is known as mini Munnar?
Correct Answer: B [Ambanad]
Ambanad hill station is known as mini Munnar. It is located in the Kollam district of Kerala.
10. Tengnoupal hill station is situated in which of the following states?
[D] Tamil Nadu
Correct Answer: A [Manipur]
Tengnoupal hill station is situated in Manipur. The road passes through this region connects Imphal and Myanmar.