Indian Culture General Studies MCQs
1. Lal Ded (Lalla Yogeshwari) was a practitioner of which of the following traditions?
[A] Tibetan Buddhism
[B] Kashmir Shaivism
[C] Sri Sampradaya
Correct Answer: B [ Kashmir Shaivism ]
Lal Ded, better known as Lalla Yogeshwari, ranks as a great mystic poetess of the 14th century. She was an ardent practitioner of Kashmir Shaivism that is also known as Trika Shastra founded by Vasu Gupta.
2. This temple is 150 year old temple situated in Kavi Kamboi in Gujarat. It is flanked by the Arabian Sea on one side and the Bay of Cambay on the other. The Shivalinga present here can be seen only during low-tide hours. In the above given description, which temple is being talked about?
[A] Somnath temple
[B] Stambheshwar Mahadev temple
[C] Dwarkadhish temple
[D] Nageshwar Temple
Correct Answer: B [Stambheshwar Mahadev temple]
Stambheshwar Mahadev temple is 150 year old temple situated in Kavi Kamboi in Gujarat. It is flanked by the Arabian Sea on one side and the Bay of Cambay on the other. The Shivalinga present here can be seen only during low-tide hours.
3. Who among the following got the Mahabharata translated into Persian and named it as ‘Razmnama’ ?
[D] None of the above
Correct Answer: A [Akbar]
The Mahabharata was translated into Persian at Akbar’s orders, by Faizi and `Abd al-Qadir Bada’uni (c. 1540 – 1615) and named Razmnameh.
4. The famous World Heritage Site “Basilica of Bom Jesus” is located in which among the following places in India?
Correct Answer: D [Goa]
The Basilica of Bom Jesus holds the mortal remains of St. Francis Xavier and is a Roman Catholic basilica located in Goa. It is a part of the Churches and convents of Goa UNESCO World Heritage Site.
5. In which month, Vishu is celebrated in Kerala?
Correct Answer: D [April]
Vishu is usually celebrated on April 14, when the Sun transits into the Mesha Raasi, representing vernal equinox.
6. Pancha mahal is located in:
[C] Fatehpur Sikri
Correct Answer: C [Fatehpur Sikri]
Panch Mahal is a palace in Fatehpur Sikri, Uttar Pradesh. The Panch Mahal meaning ‘Five level Palace’ was commissioned by Akbar . This structure stands close to the Zenana quarters which supports the supposition that it was used for entertainment and relaxation.
7. Hymns composed by which among the following rulers have been incorporated in Guru Grantha sahib of Sikhs?
[B] Swami Haridas
Correct Answer: A [Jaydev]
Hymns composed by Jaydev have been incorporated in Guru Grantha sahib of Sikhs. The hymns are written in a mixture of Sanskrit and eastern Apabhramsha. There are records narrating how Jayadeva’s work had a profound influence on Guru Nanak during his visit to Puri.
8. Who among the following was instrumental in designing New Delhi in collaboration with Edwin Lutyens?
[A] John Abel
[B] Thomas Warr Attwood
[C] Simon Basil
[D] Herbert Baker
Correct Answer: D [Herbert Baker]
Herber Baker was instrumental in designing New Delhi in collaboration with Edwin Lutyens. Lutyens also designed Viceroy’s House, which is now known as the Rashtrapati Bhavan.
9. A Fire temple is a place of worship for _____?
Correct Answer: B [Zoroastrians]
A fire temple in Zoroastrianism is the place of worship for Zoroastrians, often called dar-e mehr (Persian) or agiyari (Gujarati). In the Zoroastrian religion, fire together with clean water (see aban), are agents of ritual purity.
10. Who among the following produced India’s first dubbed film, Harischandra, in 1944?
[A] A. V. Meiyappan
[B] S. S. Vasan
[C] L V Prasad
[D] Kadaru Nagabhushanam
Correct Answer: A [A. V. Meiyappan]
A.V.Meiyappan is India’s first dubbed film Harischandra in 1944. It was dubbed in Tamil.