GK & Current Affairs: March 7-8, 2014
1. Which among the following is / are primary conditions to be fulfilled by a person who wishes to contest the Lok Sabha elections?
1. He / she must be more than 25 years old
2. He / she must be a member of a political party
3. He / she must be registered as a voter
Choose the correct option from the codes given below:
[B]Only 1 & 2
[C]Only 1 & 3
[D]1, 2 & 3
Only 1 & 3
Any Indian citizen who is more than 25 years old and is registered as a voter can contest elections even without forming a party. Similarly, associations can also contest elections without getting registered by the Election Commission
2. Which among the following is the source of famous Sanskrit quote “Yatra naryastu pujyante ramante tatra Devata” which means “Gods reside there where women are worshipped”?
3. Which among the following was the venue of the Third BIMSTEC Summit held in March 2014?
[A]Nay Pyi Taw, Myanmar
[B]Colombo, Sri Lanka
Nay Pyi Taw, Myanmar
Prime Ministers of Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Nepal and President of Sri Lanka met in Nay Pyi Taw, Myanmar on 4 March 2014 for the Third BIMSTEC Summit Meeting.
4. The “Nalanda Project” is a programme of ___?
[A]Ministry of Culture
[B]Ministry of Human Resource Development
[C]Ministry of Minority Affairs
[D]Ministry of External Affairs
Ministry of Minority Affairs
Nalanda Project is a Faculty Development Program of Ministry of Minority Affairs, Government of India, under its Information, Education and Communication (IEC) strategy for awareness, orientation and development of faculties of Minority Universities/ Minority Managed Degree Colleges (MMDCs) and higher educational institutions located in minority concentration areas in the country.
5. What is the maximum number of candidates in a constituency, for which elections can be conducted via the Electronic Voting Machines (EVM) in India?
Electronic Voting Machines are being used in Indian General and State Elections to implement electronic voting in part from 1999 elections and in total since 2004 elections. Elections can be conducted through EVMs if the number of candidates does not exceed 64.
6. With the Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Bill, 2014 getting President’s assent, which among the following dates has been decided as Telangana Formation Day?
On 4 March 2014 the Government of India declared that 2 June would be the Telangana Formation Day.
7. Which among the following region saw a major polio outbreak in 2013?
[C]Horn of Africa
Horn of Africa
Major polio outbreaks were in the Horn of Africa region and the Middle East.
8. Which among the following government ministries / departments have recently launched “Virtual Clusters”?
[A]Department of Information Technology
[B]Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises
[C]Department of Education
[D]Ministry of Commerce
Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises
Virtual Clusters, an initiative of the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises, was launched recently. Conceived as supplementing Physical Clusters, Virtual Clusters is a dedicated web- portal which will enable small businesses located anywhere in the country and the other stakeholders like banks, other financial institutions, various Government bodies, NGOs, industry experts, consultants and trainers, academia, research & technical institutions etc. to come together. This will facilitate the stakeholders to leverage the expertise of each other to their mutual growth and benefit.
9. Approximately what fraction of India’s GDP is shared by MSME (Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises) segment?
The MSME sector is of vital importance to our national economy. It accounts for 8 per cent of the country’s GDP, 45 per cent of its manufactured output and 43 per cent of our exports. It provides employment to over 10 crore people.
10. Every year, the government gives away stree shakti awards which are named after six legendary women of India. Who among the following is NOT among them?
[D]Begum Hazrat Mahal
Begum Hazrat Mahal
Stree Shakti Awards are named after six legendary women of India, Rani Lakshmibai, Rani Rudramma Devi, Kannagi, Rani Gaidinliu Zaliang, Rani Ahilyabai Holkar and Mata Jijabai.