GK & Current Affairs: February 18-20, 2014
1. Recently, countries from around the world and United Nations have signed the “London Declaration” which aims to curb the ___?
[A]Illegal Mining around the world
[B]Illegal trade in wildlife
[C]Use of chemical weapons
[D]Killing of Dolphins
Illegal trade in wildlife
Delegates from 46 countries and 11 United Nations organisations have signed the London Declaration which outlines the steps that need to be taken stop animal poaching, which governments agreed needs to be treated as a serious crime. The London declaration states that investigating the links to corruption and organised crimes needs to be made a priority.
2. Under the Jawaharlal Nehru National Solar Mission, India has an ambitious target of ____MW of solar capacity by 2022. Fill the blank with correct option.
Jawaharlal Nehru National Solar Mission was launched in January 2010 with the target of installing 20,000 MW of solar power by 2022 through a three-phase approach spanning from the 11th five-year plan till the 13th five-year plan.
3. Recently, which of the following countries has challenged the domestic content requirement of India’s solar mission saying it is against to international norms?
The United States challenged the domestic content requirement of India’s solar mission, which it alleged is discriminatory and against international norms, including WTO laws, and badly affects the American domestic solar panel manufacturing industry.
4. The Lower Subansiri Hydroelectric Power Project, is an under construction gravity dam coming up in which state?
The Lower Subansiri Hydroelectric Power Project, is an under construction gravity dam on the Subansiri River. It is located on the border of Assam and Arunachal Pradesh.
5. Which of the following countries have recently made their winter Olympic Games debut at Sochi Olympics?
2. East Timor
Chose the correct answer from the codes given below:
[A]Only 1 & 2
[B]Only 2 & 3
[C]Only 1 & 4
[D]1, 2, 3 & 4
1, 2, 3 & 4
Total seven countries have made their Winter Olympic Games debut: Dominica, East Timor, Malta, Paraguay, Togo, Tonga and Zimbabwe.
6. As per the latest study, which among the following countries has highest number of diplomats per million?
A recent study found that among the ten countries most influential to India’s interest, India had the fewest number of diplomats per capita. India’s diplomatic corps were 0.8 per million people but China, with an even larger population than India, had 5.6 diplomats per million. The highest number of diplomats per million was Singapore at 123.3.
7. According to latest Astronomical research, P/2014 C1 is a ____?
A team of European astronomer has discovered a comet named P/2014 C1. The comet was unexpectedly discovered on February 1 during a routine set of observations using the 1 m-diameter telescope at ESA’ Optical Ground Station, Tenerife, Spain. The tiny object is extremely faint, and its orbit was determined to lie between Jupiter and Mars-it will not come close to Earth.
8. Recently, India has launched third-line drug therapy or rescue therapy for people living with which disease?
India launched third-line drug therapy for people living with HIV/AIDS and extended free anti-retroviral therapy (ART) to more of them by revising the eligibility norms. The third-line therapy, sometimes called salvage or rescue therapy, is prescribed for people who have limited drug options left-after the failure of at least two drug regimens and with evidence of HIV resistance to at least one drug in each line or the latter cause alone.
9. Which of the following countries has been ranked top in the World Press Freedom Index-2014?
Paris-based organisation reporters Without Boarder published its latest annual report in which Finland has been ranked first in the list followed by Netherland and Norway. India has been ranked 140th in the list of 180 countries.
10. World Bank funded India Development Marketplace (DM), a competitive grant-based programme for profit and non-profit organisations working in the area of delivering services to the poor in north-eastern states of ___?
[A]Assam, Tripura, Manipur
[B]Assam, Mizoram, Meghalaya
[C]Sikkim, Nagaland, Mizoram
[D]Mizoram, Nagaland, Tripura
Assam, Mizoram, Meghalaya
World Bank launched a India Development Marketplace (DM), a competitive grant-based programme for profit and non-profit organisations working in the area of delivering services to the poor in north-eastern states of Assam, Mizoram and Meghalaya.