GK & Current Affairs Quiz: October 24, 2013
1. There are only three countries in the world at present where Polio still exists. These three countries are__:
[A]Pakistan, Afghanistan, Nigeria
[B]Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sudan
[C]Pakistan, Afghanistan, Myanmar
[D]Pakistan, Nigeria, Myanmar
Pakistan, Afghanistan, Nigeria
Afghanistan, Pakistan and Nigeria are the only three countries where polio still persists.
2. NASDAQ is an American stock exchange. NASDAQ stands for National Association of Securities Dealers Automated _____?
[D]None of them
NASDAQ is an American stock exchange. NASDAQ stands for National Association of Securities Dealers Automated Quotations. It is the second-largest stock market by market capitalisation in the world. First place is of New York Stock Exchange.
3. With reference to the financial markets, which among the following is used to denote the steady cash flow for investors during their retirement years?
An ‘Annuity’ is a financial product sold by financial institutions that is designed to accept and grow funds from an individual and then, upon annuitisation, pay out a stream of payments to the individual at a later point in time. Annuities are primarily used as a means of securing a steady cash flow for individuals during their retirement years.
4. The First ATM in India was introduced by which among the following banks?
[B]State Bank of India
Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation (HSBC) introduced the ATM concept in India for the first time in 1987.
5. Which among the following banks was making news recently for the so called monetary stimulus “tapering”?
[A]Reserve Bank of India
[B]Bank of England
[C]US Federal Reserve
US Federal Reserve
Tapering refers to gradual withdrawal of the $85 billion a month bond purchase programme of the US Federal Reserve in September. Whenever tapering occurs, it adversely impacts flow of funds to emerging economies.
6. Consider the following statements:
1. Crude oil is the largest component of India’s import bill
2. Crude Oil accounts for around one third of India’s import bill
Which among the above statements is / are correct?
[C]Both 1 & 2
[D]Neither 1 nor 2
Both 1 & 2
7. Ellsworth Mountains, Marie Byrd Land, Adelie Land and Ellsworth Land are the biogeographic regions in __?
8. Which among the following is India’s first indigenous nuclear submarine?
9. Which of the following is the largest producer of Banana in the world?
Brazil is the largest producer of Banana in the world. Next to Brazil, India is the second largest banana producing country in the world. Within the country Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Odisha, Bihar and West Bengal are producer of banana fruit.
10. Rice bran oil is gaining popularity across the world as it is rich in ______ ?
[A]Mono-saturated fatty acids
[B]Free fatty acids
[C]Mono-unsaturated fatty acids
[D]Essential fatty acids
Mono-unsaturated fatty acids
Rice bran oil is rich in mono-unsaturated fatty acids and has a higher cholesterol reducing power. It has highest amount of oryzanol, which has cholesterol lowering properties.