GK & Current Affairs: February 1-3, 2014
1. Which among the following countries is India’s largest trading partner in Europe?
The relations between India and Germany have traditionally been cordial and close. The two countries are strategic partners from 2000. Germany continues to be India’s largest trading partner in Europe. The two countries also work closely together in the International arena.
2. Who among the following is NOT a tennis player from India?
3. Recently, India has decided to provide Visa-on-arrival facility to tourists of all countries except eight nations. Which among the following is NOT among those eight nations?
India will extend visa-on-arrival facility to tourists of all nations, barring eight, in order to boost tourism. This facility will be implemented from the next tourist season beginning October 2014. Pakistan, Sudan, Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, Sri Lanka and Somalia are the barred countries.
4. Which among the following states generates the highest amount of hydro power in India?
Arunachal Pradesh generates the highest amount of hydro power among all the states of India.
5. As per the estimates of Planning Commission, which state had the highest number of poor people living below the poverty line in 2011-12?
As per the estimates of Planning Commission the number of poor in the country declined to 27 crore in 2011-12 from 40.74 crore in 2004-05. As per the data, Uttar Pradesh had the highest number of poor people living below the poverty line at 5.98 crore in 2011-12, followed by Bihar at 3.58 crore , Madhya Pradesh 2.34 crore, Maharashtra 1.97 crore and West Bengal 1.84 crore.
6. “KATANA” is a combat marine system unveiled recently by which among the following countries?
Israel Aerospace Industries unveiled the latest addition to its line of unmanned surface vehicles (USVs) a combat marine system named KATANA for homeland security. KATANA’s features include autonomous navigation and a collision avoidance system and it is fitted with various payloads including electro-optic and infrared cameras, line-of-sight and none-line-of-sight communication, radar and weapon systems. The craft supports a wide range of missions, protection of exclusive economic zones (EEZ), maritime borders and offshore gas rigs and pipelines, as well as port security, shallow patrolling and electronic warfare. It can also provide real-time intelligence imagery by identifying, tracking and classifying targets both far and near.
7. India’s Himanshu Thakur is associated with which one of the following sports/events?
8. Tungurahua volcano, which is active recently, is located in which country?
Ecuador Tungurahua is 16,480 feet high active volcano located in Ecuador. The Tungurahua is active since 1999.
9. In India, the nodal agency for estimation of poverty at the national and state level is ____?
Planning commission is the nodal agency for estimation of poverty at the national and state levels and the surveys are normally conducted on quinquennial basis.
10. World Cancer Day is being observed every year on _____?
February 4 World Cancer Day is being observed on February 4, to help raise awareness about the disease. The campaign for this year’s celebration is focused on reducing stigma and dispelling the myths about cancer, with the slogan “Debunk the Myths”.