GK & Current Affairs: February 4, 5, 2014
1. The Pong Dam reservoir is known to be one of the largest man-made wetlands in the foothills of the Himalayas. In which among the following states, Pong Dam reservoir is located?
[A]Jammu & Kashmir
2. According to the Lokpal & Lokayukta Act 2013, who among the following is not a part of the selection committee for choosing the Lokpal chairperson?
[B]Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha
[C]Speaker of Lok Sabha
[D]Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha
Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha
The Lokpal Bill provides for a selection committee consisting of the Prime Minister, the Lok Sabha Speaker, the Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha, the CJI or “a sitting Supreme Court judge
nominated by the CJI”, and a fifth member selected by these four members. This five-member selection committee will choose Lokpal and other members.
3. Recently, the Supreme Court of India upheld recommendations made by the Justice Majithia wage board. The Majithia wage board is related to hiking salaries for ____?
[A]Tea Plantation workers
[B]Journalists and non-journalists
[D]Contractual labours in Cooperative societies
Journalists and non-journalists
Majithia wage board recommendations were first notified in 2011 by the Labour and Employment Ministry. The board headed by Justice G.R. Majithia recommended revised wages for journalists
and other employees of the newspapers/news agencies. The Supreme Court upheld recommendations made by the Justice Majithia Wage Board hiking salaries for journalists and non-journalists in print media. The apex court ordered that recommendations should be implemented from April 2014.
4. In which year, DRDO was established to achieve self-reliance in critical defence technologies and systems?
DRDO is the research and development wing of Ministry of Defence. The organization was established in the year 1958 with a vision to empower India’s cutting edge defence technologies and a mission to achieve self-reliance in critical defence technologies and systems.
5. The nine-dotted line or nine-dash map refers to the demarcation line in South China Sea using by ___?
The nine-dotted line refers to the demarcation line used by the governments of China and the Republic of China (Taiwan) for their claims of part of the South China Sea.
6. Juthika Roy, who passed away recently, was a ____?
[B]Human Right activist
Juthika Roy was a bhajan (devotional) singer. She had sung more than 200 Hindi and 100 Bengali songs in her four decade long career. She recorded devotional songs for Hindi film industry also. She was awarded Padma Shri in 1972.
7. The Lombok strait, is a straight which connects the Java Sea to the ____?
[A]Bay of Bengal
The Lombok Strait, is a strait connecting the Java Sea to the Indian Ocean, and is located between the islands of Bali and Lombok in Indonesia.
8. Who among the following has become the fastest batsman to score 11,000 test runs, recently?
[A]M S Dhoni
Sri Lankan batsman Kumar Sangakkara has become the ninth batsman to score 11,000 Test runs against Bangladesh. The 36-year-old batsman is fastest to the 11000 Test run club, having battered West Indies batting great Brian Lara’s record by five innings.
9. Recently, with which one of the following countries India has signed agreements on “green energy corridors”?
India and Germany signed two agreements on “green energy corridors” under which Delhi will receive almost 9000 million Euros loan from the European nation. The agreements were signed as German President Joachim Gauck, who is currently visiting India, met PM Manmohan Singh in New Delhi.
10. The “Hallikar” cattle, a popular draft breed of India, is indigenous to which state?
The Hallikar is a Bos indicus breed selected primarily for draft purpose. They are found primarily in the southern region of Karnataka state, in the area surrounding Mysore.