GK & Current Affairs: February 6-8, 2014
1. The Singhbhum Elephant Reserve, where government approved an iron ore mining project recently, is located in __?
The Singhbhum Elephant Reserve, the first Elephant reserve of the country. It was created in 2001 under the project Elephant. It is located in West Singbhum and Saraikela-Kharsawan district of Jharkhand.
2. Which among the following has become the first rail system in the world to be awarded for energy efficiency?
Delhi Metro has become the first rail system in the world to be awarded the Gold Standard Foundation-a globally accepted certification standard for carbon mitigation projects.
3. Who among the following has been recently appointed as brand ambassador for Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF)?
[B]P V Sindhu
India’s largest paramilitary force CRPF has appointed five time world boxing champion and Olympic bronze medallist Mary Kom as its brand ambassador.
4. Which one of the following is the India’s most flood-prone state?
Bihar is India’s most flood-prone state, with 76% of population in the north Bihar living under the recurring threat of flood devastation. According to historical data, 16.5% of the total flood affected area in India is located in Bihar while 22.1% of the flood affected population in India lives in Bihar.
5. Recently, the union government has set up a committee to suggest suitable and corrective measures to address concern regarding security of people from North East. The chairman of the committee is __?
[A]M P Bezbaruah
[B]H W T Syeim
[D]P Bharat Singh
M P Bezbaruah
The union government has set up a six member committee to suggest suitable and corrective measures to address concern regarding security of people from North East. The committee will be chaired by M P Bezvaruah, a retired bureaucrat. The committee will submit its report within two months after examining the cause behind the attacks, violence and discrimination against the people from the Northeast.
6. Vishwanath Tripathi, who has been selected for the prestigious Vyas Samman award for the year 2013, is a famous writer in __?
Famous Hindi writer Vishwanth Tripathi has been selected for the prestigious Vyas Samman award for the year 2013. He has chosen for his memoir “Vyomkesh Darvesh”, a biography of noted Hindi scholar Acharya Hazari Prasad Dwivedi.
7. Which among the following is the first state in India to enact the Lokpal Act?
Odisha was the first state to enact the Lokpal and Lokayuktas Act in 1970, but it only had a Lokpal. Though the Act provided for a Lokayukta on a par with a judge of the HC with the same powers as of Lokpal, in Odisha no Lokayukta was ever appointed ever since the institution started. The Lokpal discharged functions of both Lokpal and Lokayukta. The state government is now pushing for a bill in
8. India’s first monorail service has been recently launched in ___?
India’s first monorail service has been launched in Mumbai. The 3,000-crore rupee monorail project is being implemented in two phases. The first phase comprises the 8.9 km long Wadala-Chembur section, while in the second phase the services will be extended to Sant Gadge Maharaj Chowk in South Mumbai.
9. Which among the following is the first and only state in India to achieve 100 per cent sanitation?
Sikkim has become the only state in the country to achieve 100 per cent sanitation in rural and urban households, schools, sanitary complexes and Aanganwadi centres.
10. “Marry Barra” who has been topped the Fortune list of “50 most powerful women in business” associated with which organisation?
Mary Barra is the first woman CEO of global automaker General Motors. IBM chairman, CEO, President Ginni Rometty secured 2nd spot and Petrobas CEO Maria das Gracas secured 4th spot.