Current Affairs : November 22, 23, 2013
1. The Dhanush missile is a naval variant of India’s indigenously developed ___missile?
Dhanush is a variant of the surface-to-surface Prithvi II missile, which has been developed for the Indian Navy. It is capable of carrying both conventional as well as nuclear warheads with pay-load capacity of 500 kg and can strike targets in the range of 350 km.
2. The “James Bond Island” or “Khao Phing Kan” is a pair of islands on the west coast of ___?
Khao Phing Kan is a pair of islands on the west coast of Thailand, in the Phang Nga Bay, Strait of Malacca. Since 1974, when it was featured in the James Bond movie “The Man with the Golden Gun”, it is popularly called James Bond Island.
3. Which one of the following movies has won Golden Elephant Award for best film at 18th International Children’s Film Festival?
[B]Goopi Gawaiya Bagha Bajaiya
[C]Ernest Et Celestine
Kauwboy, a Dutch film about a 10-year-old boy and a bird directed by Boudewijin Koole, won the Goldent Elephant Award for best film in the ‘International Live Action” category at the 18th International Children’s Film Festival.
4. Who among the following has been named as WTA Player of the Year 2013?
World No.1 women’s tennis player Serena Williams was named WTA Player of the Year. She had earlier become the oldest world No.1 in WTA history. It is the fifth time Williams has been named the WTA player of the year. She had received the honour in 2002, 2008, 2009 and 2012.
5. Who among the following is author of the book “Chronicle of a Corpse Bearer”?
Cyrus Mistry is the author of the book “Chronicle of a Corpse Bearer”. This book has been short listed for the prestigious DSC literature award.
6. The Government of India has planned to erect a security wall (similar to Berlin wall) along the borders of which one of the following neighbouring countries?
India has planned a 10 meter high embankment along the 198-km stretch of international border that separates Jammu and Pakistan. The security wall being erected to keep infiltrators out will be higher and wider than Berlin Wall. It will be 135 feet wide and pass through 118 villages in the district of Jammu, Kathu and Samba.
7. Which one of following countries has recently announced it was setting up an “air defence identification zone” over East China Sea?
China announced it was setting up an air defence identification zone over an area that includes islands controlled by Japan but claimed by China, in a move that could inflame the bitter territorial row. The outline of the new zone covers a wide area of the East China Sea between South Korea and Taiwan that includes the Tokyo-controlled islands known as the Senakaku to Japan and Diaoyou to China.
8. What does “T” stands for in TAPI, the proposed natural gas pipeline being developed Asian Development Bank?
The TAPI or Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India pipeline is a proposed natural gas pipeline being developed Asian Development Bank. Expected to be completed around 2017, the pipeline will transport Caspian Sea natural gas from Turkmenistan through Afghanistan into Pakistan and then to India.
9. The controversial 300-MW Lakhwar hydroelectric power project is related to which state?
The Lakhwar project is located on the Upper Yamuna River Basin in Dehradun, district of Uttarakhand.
10. Who among the following has been recently elected as new chief boxing coach of India?
[A]Gurbax Singh Sandhu
[B]Narottam Singh Rawat
Gurbax Singh Sandhu
The long serving Gurbax Singh Sandhu was retained as the national coach of the men’s Indian boxing team till the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. Sandhu, was first appointed as the chief coach in 1993, was picked for a fresh term by a committee under the IBF president Abhishek Matoria.