GK & Current Affairs: June 28, 29, 2013
1. What is the name of the Sun observing satellite launched by NASA recently?
NASA’s newest solar observatory launched Interface Region Imaging Spectrograph satellite or IRIS into space, beginning a two year quest to probe some of the sun’s biggest mysteries. Scientists hope IRIS observations help them better understand how energy and material move around the sun.
2. Recently Tata Coffee, the largest plantation company of Asia inaugurates the premium extraction plant in which one of the following place?
The largest plantation firm of Asia, Tata coffee started off its premium extraction plant at Theni near Madurai in the state of Tamil Nadu. The plant will process coffee beans and they made into frozen dried powder for export of international markets.
3. For the first time in India, where will be the Desiccant Enhanced System or the Devap air cooling system be used?
[A]Nalanda International University
[D]Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
Nalanda International University
Architects building the Nalanda International University at the ancient seat of learning in Bihar have decided to use the desiccant enhanced evaporative (Devap) air-cooling system. This is the first time such a system will be used in India. The Devap system works by using “desiccant” material that removes moisture from the air using heat, as also evaporative technologies that bring about cooling by using up to 90 per cent less energy than conventional means.
4. What is the total number of UNESCO Man and Biosphere (MAB) programme recognised Biosphere reserves in India?
The Indian government has established 18 Biosphere Reserves of India. Out of the eighteen biosphere reserves nine are a part of the World Network of Biosphere Reserve, based on UNESCO Man and Biosphere (MAB) programme list.
5. Which of the following States/Union Territories topped the list of new index on financial inclusion, released by ratings and analytics firm CRISIL?
A new index on financial inclusion released by rating and analytics firm Crisil showed that Puducherry topped the list, followed by Chandigarh and Kerala. The report shows that Southern states have emerged on top on financial inclusion parameters, while the East and some of the developed states of the West-including Gujarat and Maharastra are below national average.
6. Elbegdorj Tsakhia, has been elected as President of which one of the following country?
Mongolia’s incumbent president, Tsakhia Elbegdorj has emerged as the winner of presidential poll with a narrow majority of votes cast. Elbergdorj got 50.23 percent of the votes, beating a former wresting champion, Baterdene Badmaanyambuu of the Mongolian People’s Party and health minister Udval Natsang of Mongolian Revolutionary Party.
7. Citrus greening is a deadly disease of citrus caused by____?
Citrus greening or Huanglongbing is a deadly disease of citrus which greatly affects the production of the fruits in several parts of India. It is caused by motile bacteria, Candidatus Liberibacter.
8. Which of the following space agency is partnering ISRO’s Mars Orbiter Mission?
[B]European space agency
[C]Russian Space agency
[D]French space agency
NASA is providing the deep space navigation and tracking support to ISRO’s much-awaited Rs 450 crore Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM) slated for lift off from Sriharikota in October-November 2013.
9. Recently, which one of the following car entered the Guinness World Records for driving on a longest journey?
Tata Motor’s small car Nano entered Guinness World Records for driving on a longest journey covering the entire country. The expedition was accomplished in 10 days covering 10,218 km in a Tata Nano from Kanyakumari in southern Tamil Nadu to circumnavigate the country and return to Bangalore. The car entered the Guinness World Records, breaking the previous records of 8,046 km.
10. Which one of the following state has recently launched “Mukhyamantri Bijli Bachat Lamp Yojna” for energy conservation?
Mukhyamantri Bijli Bachat Lamp Yojna for energy conservation is a unique scheme launched by Rajasthan. The state government will provide two CFL bulb free of cost to all electricity consumer of villages and BPL consumers in Urban areas.