GK & Current Affairs: February 9, 2014
1. Which of the following countries will host 2018 Winter Olympics?
The 2018 Winter Olympics is scheduled to take place in Pyeongchang, South Korea, between 9 and 25 February 2018.
2. Recently, RBI has released a draft report on enabling PKI in payment system application. What does PKI stands for___?
[A]Public Key Infrastructure
[B]Primary Key Infrastructure
[C]Primary Key Institute
[D]Public Kiosk Infrastructure
Public Key Infrastructure
PKI stands for Public Key Infrastructure. The Reserve Bank of India released a draft technical report on making payment system effective. The objective of an effective payment system is to secure a safe, secure, efficient, robust and sound payment system in the country.
3. What is the name of the only novel written by Charlie Chaplin that is being made public for the first time?
[D]A Memory Never Fade
Footlight is the novel by Charlie Chaplin, the only book the silent film comic ever wrote is being made public for the first time. Footlight, which will be unveiled in London recently, was written by Chaplin in 1948 and later transformed into his film “Limelight” in which a washed-out clown saves a dancer from suicide.
4. Who among the following has been elected as president of Indian Olympic Association (IOA)?
N Ramachandran has been elected as President of Indian Olympic Association. He was a unanimous choice for president in the Indian Olympic Association election. Ramachandran served as the IOA treasurer from 2008 to 2012 and has been president of the World Squash Federation since 2008.
5. “Watson” is an artificially intelligent computer system capable of answering questions posed in natural language, developed by ____?
Watson is an artificially intelligent computer system capable of answering questions posed in natural language, developed by IBM.
6. Recently opened Taishan Antarctic research station belongs to which one of the following countries?
Taishan station is a China’s fourth Atlantic research base opened recently. Taishan station, which will be used in summers, is expected to be in service for the next 15 years. It will contribute research on bio-ecology and remote satellite sensing.
7. Which among the following Latin American country is not a member of MERCOSUR?
India has signed a PTA with MERCOSUR in 2004. MERCOSUR is a trading block of Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay and Uruguay in South America region)
8. The government of India has decided to set up a new major port at Dugarajapatnam, which is located in __?
The government has decided to set up two new major ports, one each at Sagar in West Bengal and Dugarajapatnam in Nellore district of Andhra Pradesh.
9. Which among the following chemical is most suitable in Food Processing industry, to be used as a food preservatives?
10. Tungabhadra Multipurpose project is an interstate project between which among the following states?
[A]Karnataka & Andhra Pradesh
[B]Karnataka & Maharastra
[C]Karnataka, Maharastra and Andhra Pradesh
[D]Karnataka & Goa
Karnataka & Andhra Pradesh