GK & Current Affairs: February 10-11, 2014
1. Shiron Peres, who set a new Guinness world record by delivering the largest online civic class in the world, is currently president of which country?
Shiron Peres is president of Israel. He set a new Guinness world record by delivering the largest online civic class in the world. He delivered the classes using Cisco’s advanced technology
2. According to latest report of the sanitation ministry, which state has become the India’s first state with 100 percent sanitation coverage?
Sikkim has become India’s first state with 100 percent sanitation coverage, according to a report of the drinking water and sanitation ministry. Sikkim ranked first among the 28 states and seven union territories in terms of sanitation coverage for both urban and rural areas in households, schools, sanitary complexes and Aanganwadi centres.
3. Who among the following was elected as the next Prime Minister of Nepal in January 2014?
Veteran Nepali Congress leader Sushil Koirala was elected Prime Minister of Nepal with the support of the CPN-UML. Koirala, the sole contestant in the premier race, was elected with 405 votes in the 601 member constituency assembly.
4. Which of the following states has been honoured with “Krishi Karman” award for overall food grain production for year 2012-13?
Madhya Pradesh has claimed coveted “Krishi Karman” award for highest food grain production during year 2012-13. Madhya Pradesh has received the coveted prize for the second consecutive term.
5. The “Toda” tribe is the ancient and unusual tribe found in ____?
Toda Tribe is the most ancient and unusual tribe of Nilgiri Hills of Tamil Nadu.
6. The government has cleared creation of Equal Opportunity Commission (EOC), to check discrimination against__?
[D]Physically Challenged persons
The government cleared a proposal for setting up the much-awaited Equal Opportunity Commission (EOC), a statutory body to check discrimination of minority communities in jobs and education. The Justice Sachar Committee, which went into the socio-economic backwardness of Muslims, had recommended setting up of such a panel.
7. In India, February 13 is celebrated as National Women’s Day. In whose memory, this day is celebrated?
February 13 is celebrated as National Women’s Day of India. This day is celebrated in the memory of Sarojini Naidu, the first Indian women governor, who was born on February 13.
8. Which among the following countries has passed a bill which permits child euthanasia without any age limit?
Belgium Parliament has passed a bill allowing euthanasia for terminally ill children without any age limit. When, as expected, the bill is signed by the king, Belgium will become the first country in the world to remove any age limit on the practice.
9. China has recently unveiled its plans to build the world’s longest underwater tunnel beneath which sea?
[A]South China Sea
[B]East China Sea
China plans to build the world’s longest underwater tunnel beneath the Bohai Sea by 2026, connecting the port cities of Dalian in Liaoning provenance and Yantai in Shandong provenance. The length of the planned tunnel will be more than the combined length of the world’s largest underwater tunnels –Japan’s Seikan Tunnel and the Channel Tunnel between Britain and France.
10. The Discount and Finance House of India is a subsidiary of ___?
The Discount and Finance House of India was set up in 1988 by the Reserve Bank of India to help develop the money market in India. DFHI deal with treasury bills of different maturities and rediscount short term commercial bills.