Current Affairs : November 14-15, 2013
1. At present, the funds allowed to members of Parliament for spending on local area development under the Member of Parliament Local Area Development Scheme (MPLADS) scheme are __?
[A]Rs. 1 Crore per Year
[B]Rs. 2 Crore per Year
[C]Rs. 5 Crore per year
[D]Rs. 10 Crore per Year
Rs. 5 Crore per year
Member of Parliament Local Area Development Scheme (MPLADS) scheme allows members of Parliament for spending on local area development. It started as Rs. 1 crore per constituency each year, then grew to Rs. 2 crore and now is Rs. 5 crore — for each of nearly 800 MPs every year. This scheme is open to mis-use, every one knows about it. The total burden on Indian exchequer is Rs. 20,000 crore every five years.
2. Which among the following countries is currently known for highest number of deaths of under-five infants and children in the world?
Despite reducing under-five mortality from 2.5 million in 2001 to 1.4 million in 2012, India still holds the dubious distinction of having the highest number of deaths in the world in this vulnerable age group — 22 per cent.
3. The “Arakan Mountain” is the extension of Himalaya mountain range located in which country?
The Arakan Mountains is a mountain range in western Burma (Myanmar), between the coast of Rakhine State and the Central Burma basin. The Arakan mountains run from Cape Negrais in the South in to the Manipur State of India in north. Arakan Mountains divide the Rakhine coast from the rest of Burma, and thus have acted as a barrier between the peoples of central Burma and those of the Indian subcontinent. This played a role in fostering the separate development of the Rakhine people, both linguistically and culturally, from the Burmese. (wikipedia)
4. Who among the following will be conferred with the “Centenary Award for India Film Personality of the Year”?
Renowned actress Waheeda Rehman will be coffered with the Centenary Award for Indian Personality of the Year at the International Film Festival of India 2013 in Panjim, Goa. The award has been instituted to commemorate 100 years of Indian Cinema, and will be given annually to an outstanding film personality for his or her contribution to Indian cinema.
5. With reference to internet terminology, in the word URL, “R” stands for ___?
URL or Uniform Resource Locator, also known as web address, is a specific character string that constitutes a reference to a resource.
6. Which of the following neighbouring countries of India has decided to cut the size of its Army by reducing the number of non-combatant personnel?
China has decided to cut the size of its 2.3 million strong military by reducing the number of non-combatant personnel in the People’s Liberation Army. The number of non-combatant personnel in the PLA, the world largest military will be reduced in an effort to optimize its scale and structure.
7. The “MERCOSUR” is an economical and political agreement among five countries of ____?
Mercusor is an economic and political agreement among Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay, Uruguay and Venezuela. The territories of Mercosur consist of the combined territories of five of the twelve countries of South America and their population.
8. Who among the following has been awarded “International Indian of Decade Award”?
[B]Lord Swraj Paul
Lord Swraj Paul
Leading NRI industrialist and educationist, Lord Swraj Paul was presented with the International Indian of Decade” award for his outstanding achievements in the fields of industry, education and philanthropy.
9. The Government of India has decided to confer upon Bharat Ratna to C.N.R Rao, for his contribution in solid-state and structural chemistry. Rao is the __ Indian Scientist to get this award?
Prof.Rao, a well recognised international authority in solid state and materials chemistry, who has published hundreds of research papers. He is the third scientist, after C V Raman and the former President A P J Abdul Kalam, to be awarded the Bharat Ratna.
10. Who among the following has been sworn in as President of Maldives?
[C]Maumonn Abdul Gayoom
Abdulla Yameen, has been sworn in as President of Maldives. Mr Yameen is a half brother of Maumoon Abdul Gayoom, who was president for 30 years until 2008. According to election commission, Mr Yameen secured 51.3% of the vote in the run-off election, compared with 48.6% for Mr Nasheed.