GK & Current Affairs: July 7, 2013
1. Which among the following sectors has been approved by RBI recently to avail External Commercial borrowings (ECBs)?
[D]Low cost housing
Low cost housing
RBI in its recent directive has approved Housing finance companies to avail ECBs for financing low cost housing projects in a move towards providing affordable housing options.
2. Recently, the construction of dam on Blue Nile River triggered the tension between which two countries?
[A]Egypt and Sudan
[B]Sudan and Kenya
[C]Ethiopia and Egypt
[D]Ethiopia and Kenya
Ethiopia and Egypt
Ethiopia had begun diverting the flow of the Blue Nile for the construction of the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance dam-a $4.2 billion hydroelectric plant. The issue of Ethiopian dam has sparked outrage in Egypt. The dam is feared to cause serious water shortage in the Egypt.
3. The seventh regional Pravasi Bhartiya Divas will be held in____?
The seventh edition of the annual Regional Pravasi Bhartiya Divas will be held in the Australia city of Sydney this November.
4. Recently which Islands in India were declared as the World Biosphere Reserve by UNESCO under its MAB (Man and Biosphere) Programme?
[D]St. Marina Islands
The UNESCO has designated India’s Nicobar Islands as a world biosphere reserve under its Man and the Biosphere Programme. The Island chain, home to 1,800 animal species and some of the world’s most endangered tribes, was among the 12 new sites added to the global network of biosphere reserves.
5. Who is the head of the expert committee set up by the Union government to evolve a composite index to measure the backwardness of States?
Union government recently set up a six member expert committee headed by Chief Economic Adviser Raghuram Rajan to evolve a composite index to measure backwardness of states. It would submit its report in 60 days. The other members of the committee are Shaibla Gupta, Bharat Ramaswami, Najeeb Jung, Niriha G Jayal and Tuhin Pandey.
6. The ambitious INSTAL scheme is related to which ministry?
[A]Ministry of Tourism
[B]Ministry of Tribal
[C]Ministry of Sports
[D]Ministry of Culture
Ministry of Sports
INSTAL is the new initiative taken by Ministry of Sports. Under the proposed “Identification and Nurturing Sports Talent (INSTAL)” scheme, each district will have a special school meant for young sports persons in the age group of 6-10 years who have shown talent in sports.
7. In which state “Rajaji National Park” is located?
Rajaji National Park is spread over in three districts of Uttarakhand. Recently the Union government has given the nod to a proposal to grant the Rajaji National Park the status of a tiger reserve. It will be the second tiger reserve in the state after the Corbett National Park.
8. Who among the following has won the Man Booker International Prize-2013?
[B]U R Ananthamurthy
Lydia Davis, best known as a short story writer, is the winner of the 2013 Man Booker International prize. Davis has written nine collections of short stories and one novel, The End of The Story. She is also known for her translation of French writers such as Marcel Proust and Gustave Flaubert, which earned her the Order of Arts and Letters from the French government. Kannada author U R Anathamurthy is the only Indian author nominated for this prize.
9. Which of the following are the three new services unveiled by the Unique Identification Authority of India?
[A]e-KYC, One Time Pin (OTP) authentication, Iris authentication
[B]e-KYC, OTP, Thumb authentication
[C]e-KYC, Iris authentication, i-KYC
[D]i-KYC, Thumb authentication, Iris authentication
e-KYC, One Time Pin (OTP) authentication, Iris authentication
Recently the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has launched three new Aadhar enabled services an authentication services using Iris, an authentication using One Time Pin (OTP), and an electronic know your (e-KYC) service
10. In which of the following state “Indian National Defence University” is coming up?
Indian National Defence University is slated to come up on 205 acres at Binola, near Gurgaon in Haryana, with an initial cost of Rs 395 crore.