GK & Current Affairs: July 8, 2013
1. Which of the following movies has won best movie award at 14th IIFA-2013?
[C]Ek Tha Tiger
Anurag Basu’s movie Barfi has received the best film award at 14th edition of the International India Film Academy Awards, held at the Ventian Macao in Macau. It has also won 9 awards in technical category. Vidya Balan received the Best Actress Award.
2. Recently, which of the following state has launched the “Phulwari” scheme to tackle malnutrition?
Chhattisgarh government has launched the “Phulwari” scheme for children between ages of 6 months and 3 years, aiming to curb malnutrition. “The objective is to keep children healthy by providing proper nutrition. In the first phase the scheme will be implemented in 85 tribal development blocks of 19 districts, with 2,850 Phulwari centres. Pregnant women, mother of infants, and children will get balanced, nutritious and hot meals every day, besides medical attention and other care at these centres.
3. What is the frequency range of Ultra High Frequency band?
[A]3 to 10 Megahertz
[B]3 to 30 Megahertz
[C]300 to 3000 Megahertz
[D]300 to 30000 Megahertz
300 to 3000 Megahertz
Ultra High Frequency (UHF) designates the ITU radio frequency range of electromagnetic waves between 300 Megahertz to 3 GHz (3,000 Megahertz).
4. Which of the following date is observed as Independence Day in United States of America?
Independence Day, commonly known as the Fourth of July, is a federal holiday in the United States commemorating the adoption of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776 declaring independence from United Kingdom.
5. India’s first commercial “Prototype Fast Breeder Reactor” is being developed at which of the following place?
Indias’ first commercial fast breeder reactor the 500 Mwe Prototype Fast Breeder Reactor (PFBR) is in an advanced stage of completion at Kalpakkam, Tamil Nadu.
6. As per the latest ICC Test rankings (July 2013), which of the following country is in top position?
As per the latest test ranking issued in July 2013, India moved to second spot while South Africa led the ranking. South Africa gained seven rating points making its tally to 135 points. India scored 116 points. England was placed at third position.
7. Who among the following has been appointed as coach of “Indian women’s Basketball Team”?
Francisco Garcia of Spain has been appointed head coach of the Indian women’s basketball team. Prior to joining Basketball Federation of India, Garcia was involved in various women’s professional programmes in Spain, Denmark and Finland.
8. Who among the following are the winners of Men’s and Women’s single title in Wimbledon Tennis -2013?
[A]Roger Federer, Serena Williams
[B]Rafeal Nadal, Marion Bartoli
[C]Andy Murray, Marion Bartoli
[D]Daniel Nestor, Marion Bartoli
Andy Murray, Marion Bartoli
Andy Murray of British and Marion Bartholi of France won the 2013 Wimbledon singles titles in the Men and Women category respectively.
9. Recently, which one of the following country has given final approval to join Eurozone?
The European Union has officially approved Latvia as the 18th member of the eurozone, which uses the bloc’s common currency. The Baltic country is set to adopt the euro on January 1, 2014.
10. Which one of the following country ranked top in the “Global Innovation Index-2013”?
Switzerland remained the most innovative nation in the world in the 2013 Global Innovation Index, the sixth edition of annual report published by the World Intellectual Property Organization, the French business school INSEAD and Cornell University.