GK & Current Affairs : June 17-18, 2013
1. Who among the following has been appointed as new Chairman of “Air Asia India”?
[C]R Venkata Raman
S Ramadorai, who headed Tata Consultancy Service (TCS) from 1996 to 2009, has been named as chairman of AirAsia India. Ramadorai, who continues as non-executive vice-chairman of TCS, was appointed in February 2011 as advisor to the Prime Minister in the national skill development council and was made
chairman of the council in May.
2. As per the United Nations, World Population Prospects-2012, India will become most populous country in the world by____?
As per the latest report titled World Population Prospects- 2012 revision, released by United Nations, India will become the most populous country in the world by 2028, surpassing China, while Nigeria will have more people than the United States by 2050.
3. According to Bureau of Immigration, which of the following country ranked top in the list of number of foreign tourist arrivals to India?
According to latest data from the Bureau of Immigration, Foreign tourist arrivals to India grew by about 4.5% from 6.30 millions in 2011 to 6.57 million in 2012. The United State continued as the top source country, reaching 1 million tourists in 2012. The top 10 countries are US, UK, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka,
Canada, Germany, France, Japan, Australia and Malaysia.
4. Which country has developed the World’s fastest computer “Tianhe-2”?
China has been developed the Worlds fasted computer Tianhe-2. Tianhe-2 developed by the National University of Defence Technology in central China’s Changsha city is capable of sustained computing of 33.86 petaflapos per second. Tianhe-2 which means Milky Way-2, knocks the U.S. Energy Department’s
Titan machine off the No.1 spot.
5. Who is the new Chairman of Life Insurance Corporation of India?
[A]S K Roy
[C]D K Mehrotra
S K Roy
The Union government appointed S.K. Roy as the Chairman of Life Insurance Corporation of India. Mr Roy joined LIC in 1981. Roy, who at present a Managing Director in the organization, would be succeeding D.K. Mehrotra, whose term as LIC chief ended on May 31.
6. The much debated “Bangaru Thalli” scheme is related to which state?
Bangaru Thalli is a girl child protection scheme of Andhra Pradesh.
7. Who among the following has been elected as President of 68th session of UN General Assembly?
[A]John W. Ashe
[C]Ban Ki Moon
John W. Ashe
The United Nation general Assembly elected Ambassador John W. Ashe of Antigua and Barbuda as President of its upcoming 68th session.
8. Recently, the construction of dam on Blue Nile River triggered the tension between which two countries?
[A]Egypt and Sudan
[B]Sudan and Kenya
[C]Ethiopia and Egypt
[D]Ethiopia and Kenya
Ethiopia and Egypt
Ethiopia had begun diverting the flow of the Blue Nile for the construction of the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance dam-a $4.2 billion hydroelectric plant. The issue of Ethiopian dam has sparked outrage in Egypt. The dam is feared to cause serious water shortage in the Egypt.
9. Who among the following is the author of the novel “The Garden of Evening Mists”?
[B]Tan Twang Eng
Tan Twang Eng
Malaysian author Tan Twan Eng is the author of the novel “The Garden of Evening Mists”. Recently Tan Twang Eng has won the Walter Scott Prize for historical fiction for his second novel The Garden of Evening Mists. Earlier this year Tan Twan Eng won the Man Asian Literary Prize with the same book.
10. Which of the following airports was recently adjudged as “World’s second best International Airport?
[A]Rajiv Gandhi International Airport
[B]Bangalore International Airport
[C]Indira Gandhi International Airport
[D]Kochi International Airport
Indira Gandhi International Airport
Indira Gandhi International Airport has been ranked as the world’s second best airport in the 25-40 million passengers category by the Airport Council of International. The best airport in this category is the Seoul Incheon in South Korea.