GK & Current Affairs: August 19, 2013
1. Recently (August, 2013), which of the following states has got approval from the RBI to launch Islamic Banking?
The Kerala government has got a go ahead from the Reserve Bank of India to launch a financial institution following the principles of Islamic Finance. Cheraman Financial Services Limited (CFSL) will be floated by Kerala State Industrial Development Corporation to function as a non-banking finance company (NBFC).
2. For the first time in India, Election Commission has planned to use Voter “Verifiable Paper Audit Trial (VVPAT)”, system in the election of which state?
For the first time, the Election Commission has decided to attach a device with electronic voting machines which will leave a verifiable paper trial of votes cast in election. Called Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trial (VVPAT), system, it will be used in Nagaland’s Noksen (ST) assembly constituency where by poll is scheduled for September 4, 2013.
3. Recently (August, 2013), which of the following telecom companies has launched one of its kinds “One Rupee Entertainment Store”?
Airtel has launched “Rs 1 entertainment store” which will allow users to download services such as music’s, games, videos and photos for one rupee. The store is compatible with over 5,500 mobile devices including feature phones.
4. In which of the following nations, Polio is considered to be endemic?
Chose the correct answer from the codes given below:
[A]Only 1 & 2
[B]Only 2 & 3
[C]Only 3 & 4
[D]Only 1, 2 & 4
Only 1, 2 & 4
Polio is mostly considered eliminated globally except mainly in three countries where it is considered endemic: Afghanistan, Nigeria and Pakistan. India marked a major success in February 2012 by being removed from the World Health Organization’s list of countries plagued by this disease.
5. Who among the followings has been selected for Sir Edmund Hillary Mountain Legacy Medal 2013?
[C]Chandra Prabha Aitwal
Professor of economics, and conservationist, and mountaineer Dr. Harshwanti Bisht has been selected to receive the Sir Edmund Hillary Mountain Legacy Medal. The award is presented for remarkable services in the conservation of culture and nature in mountainous regions.
6. The Rashtriya Uchattar Shiksha Abhiyan has proposed to put ceiling of how many maximum number of colleges to be affiliated to any university?
The Rashtriya Uchattar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA) has proposed to put a ceiling of maximum number of colleges to be affiliated to any university at two hundred.
7. What is the name of newest mammal and the first carnivore discovered in the America recently?
The long-tailed, orange-furred, big-eyed Olinguito said to resemble a cross between a house cat and teddy bear is the newest mammal and the first carnivores discovered in the Americas in 35 years. Native to the high, misty cloud forests of Columbia and Ecuador, the olinguito is the smallest member of the raccoon family.
8. Who among the followings has been appointed next ambassador and permanent representative of India to the UN Conference on Disarmament?
[C]Bala Venkatesh Verma
Bala Venkatesh Verma
Dr Bala Venkatesh Verma has been appointed as next ambassador and permanent representative of India to the UN Conference on Disarmament, Geneva. The 1988 batch IFS officer is expected to take up his assignment shortly.
9. “Desh Prem Azad”, who passed away, recently was the coach of which of the following cricket legends?
Desh Prem Azad, the coach of India’s 1983 World Cup winning skipper Kapil Dev, passed away recently. Azad, who remained Kapil’s coach in his formative years the 1970’s was 75. Azad shaped the careers of Kapil Dev, Chetan Sharma and Harbhajan Singh among others.
10. “Biotic Index” gives us an idea about pollution of____?
[D]All the above
Biotic Index is a scale for showing the quality of an environment by indicating the types of organisms present in it. It is often used to assess the quality of water in rivers. It is measured from 1 to 10 and corresponds to the four basic water qualities (Excellent, Good, Fair or Poor).
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|