GK & Current Affairs: August 17-18, 2013
1. Apart from India, which of the following countries celebrate(s) Independence Day on August 15th?
4.Republic of Congo
Choose the correct answer from the given options below:
[A]Only 1 & 4
[B]Only 1,2 & 3
[C]Only 1, 2 & 4
[D]Only 1, 3 & 4
Only 1, 3 & 4
15th August also marks the independence of the three other nations – South Korea won its independence from Japan on 15th August 1945, Bahrain from UK in 1971 and Republic of the Congo from France in 1960.
2. Recently (August, 2013), Ministry of New and Renewable Energy has decided to set up a new wing called NOWA. What does NOWA stands for?
[A]National Onshore Wind Energy Authority
[B]National Offshore Wind Energy Authority
[C]National Oil and Wind Energy Authority
[D]Natural Oil and Wind Energy Authority
National Offshore Wind Energy Authority
A National Offshore Wind Energy Authority (NOWA) under the aegis of Ministry of New and Renewable Energy will be constituted that will acts as the nodal agency for Offshore Wind Projects in the country. NOWA will carry out resource assessment and surveys in the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) of the country and simultaneously enter into contract with project developers for development of offshore wind energy project in the territorial water. NOWA will be the single window agency and will coordinate with concerned ministry/department.
3. Who among the followings are the brand ambassadors of the “Indian Badminton League”?
[A]Deepika Padukone, Shah Rukh Khan
[B]Aamir Khan, Juhi Chawla
[C]Aamir Khan, Deepika Padukone
[D]Akshay Kumar, Katrina Kaif
Aamir Khan, Deepika Padukone
Deepika Padukone and Aamir Khan are the brand ambassadors of the Indian Badminton League.
4. Which one of the following countries is currently holding the Chairmanship of Arctic Council?
The Arctic Council is a high-level intergovernmental forum that addresses issues faced by the Arctic governments and the indigenous people of the arctic. It has eight member countries and chairmanship of the Council rotates every two years. The current chair is Canada.
5. Recently (August, 2013), Rajya Sabha passed a bill to declare Lakhipur-Bhanga Stretch of the Barak River as National Waterway. This waterway is located in __?
[C]North East India
North East India
Rajya Sabha passed a bill to declare the 121-km stretch of Barak River in Assam as National Waterway, a move aimed to unified development of waterways for shipping, navigation and transportation of cargo to the north-eastern region. The Barak stretch National Waterway would be country’s sixth National Waterway and benefits Assam, Nagaland, Mizoram, Manipur, Tripura and Arunachal Pradesh.
6. Which one of the following is the NASA’s frontier mission to the planet “Jupiter”?
Juno is a NASA new frontier mission to the planet Jupiter. Juno was launched from Cape Canaveral air force station on August 5, 2011.
7. Who among the following has been conferred Prime Minister “Shram Ratna” Award for the year 2012?
[A]Bijay Kishore Mishra
Shram Ratna is the highest award among the Shram Awards and carries a cash award of 200000 rupees along with a Sanad. For the year 2012, the prestigious Shram Ratna award has been given to Subrata Kumar from Tata Steel Ltd., Jamshedpur.
8. Which of the following books were written by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru?
1.Discovery of India
2.The Century for Young People
3.Glimpses of World History
4.The Story of Civilization
Select the correct answer from the codes given below:
[A]Only 1 & 4
[B]Only 1 & 2
[C]Only 1 & 3
[D]Only 2 & 3
Only 1 & 3
Discovery of India and Glimpses of World History were written by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru among the above books.
9. Marion Bartoli, a professional tennis player who has announced an unexpected retirement hails from which country?
Marion Bartoli is a French professional tennis player and the former French No.1. She won one singles major, seven women’s tennis association single tittles and three double tittles. She won the 2013 Wimbledon Championships single titles. She announced her retirement from professional tennis on 14 August 2013.
10. Which one of the followings has become the only Indian Institute that has made it to the top 500 in the 2013 Academic Ranking of World Universities?
Bangalore Headquartered Indian Institute of Science (IISc) has once again made the country proud. It is the only Indian Institute that has made it to the top 500 in the Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) which was released by the Center for World-Class Universities at Shangai Jiao Tong University. The 104-year old entity is ranked in the 301-400 category. IISc, which was ranked 45 in the world ranking for Chemistry last year, is on 3rd spot this time.
« Previous QuizNext Quiz »