GK & Current Affairs: August 15-16, 2013
1. Anjolie Ela Menon, who was conferred Delhi state government Lifetime Achievement Award-2013, is a famous___?
[C]Human Rights activist
Delhi state government conferred Lifetime Achievement Award-2013 to two veteran artists, Abdul Rashid Khan and Anjolie Ela Menon. Menon is a India’s renowned contemporary artist whose work is recognised globally. She is considered as one of the foremost artists of her generation. She awarded Padma Sri in recognition of her distinguished contribution in the sphere of arts.
2. Currently, how many countries in the European Union shares euro as a single currency?
The euro is the currency used by the Institutions of the European Union and is the official currency of the eurozone, which consists of 17 of the 28 members states of the European Union. These include Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, and Spain
3. The “Rajiv Gandhi Udyami Mitra Yojana” aims to provide financial assistance to which of the followings?
[A]Naxal affected states
[C]Self Help Groups
Rajiv Gandhi Udyami Mitra Yojana was launched on February 7, 2008. The scheme aims to provide handholding assistance to first generation entrepreneurs through lead agencies or Udyami Mitra, who shall provide guidance to the potential entrepreneurs and help them in completion of various tasks and formalities necessary for the establishment of the enterprises.
4. As per a recent cabinet decision, the International Centre for Drinking Water Quality is to be set up at __?
The Union cabinet gave its approval to the proposal for establishing the International Centre for Drinking Water Quality in Kolkata. The centre will be registered as a Society under the Societies Registration Act, 1860, with the requisite manpower, building and support infrastructure. The centre will benefit the entire population of the country through provision of safe and quality drinking water.
5. The International Youth Day is observed on __?
The International Youth Day is an awareness day designated by the United Nations to be observed on 12th August every year. This year’s observance of International Youth Day focuses on the issues of youth migration. The theme for 2013 is Youth Migration: Moving Development Forward.
6. Which one of the following is the world’s first nuclear reactor which uses thorium to achieve power flattening across the reactor core?
India’s Kakrapar-1 reactor is the world’s first reactor which uses thorium rather than depleted uranium to achieve power flattening across the reactor core.
7. Which of the following countries is the world’s largest oil importer?
United States is the world’s largest net oil importer.
8. The Mekong river does not run through which among the following countries?
The Mekong is a trans-boundary river in Southeast Asia. It is the world’s 12th longest river and 7th largest river in Asia. From the Tibetan Plateau this river runs through China’s Yunnan provenance, Myanmar, Laos, Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam.
9. The North and South Islands of New Zealand are separated by____?
[C]Strait of Messina
Cook Strait separates the North and South Islands of New Zealand.
10. The “Achanakmar Tiger Reserve” is in which of the following states?
The Achanakmar Tiger Reserve is in Chhattisgarh. It was established in 1975, under the provision of Wildlife Protection Act of 1972. Achanakmar has been declared as Tiger Reserve under the project Tiger in 2009.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|