GK & Current Affairs: August 20, 2013
1. Recently (August, 2013), Linguistic Expert Committee has recommended for classical language status to which language?
Linguistic Expert Committee, which has been constituted by the India Government to consider the demands for categorization of languages as Classical languages, has recommended Odia to be declared as a Classical language.
2. Which of the following cities is host of the BRICS Business Council 2013?
Johannesburg, South Africa is the venue for the BRICS Business Council 2013.
3. Who is the author of the book “My Journey: Transforming Dreams into Actions”?
[A]A P J Abdul Kalam
A P J Abdul Kalam
“My Journey: Transforming Dreams into Actions” by former President of India Dr A P J Abdul Kalam was launched recently by Rupa publications. The book focuses on series of anecdotes and profiles of determination, courage as well as desire to excel of APJ Abdul Kalam.
4. Who among the following has been appointed as Chairperson of National School of Drama?
[C]U R Anantha Murthy
Shri Ratan Thiyam has been appointed as the chairperson of the National School of Drama Society. The President of India has appointed Shri Thiyam for a period of four years as per the relevant rules and regulations of the Society. Ratan is a playwright and theatre director.
5. “Ug99” is a deadly rust disease of_______?
Ug 99 is lineage of wheat stem rust (Puccinia graminis) which is present in wheat fields in several countries in Africa and the Middle East and is predicted to spread rapidly through these regions and possibly further afield, potentially causing a wheat production disaster that would affect food security world wide. It can cause up to 100% crop losses and is virulent against many resistance genes which have previously protected wheat against stem rust.
6. Who is the chairman of the High Level Committee set up to assess the status of Scheduled Tribes (STs)?
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh set up High Level Committee to assess the status of Scheduled Tribes (STs) to ensure their upliftment, particularly in Socio-economic, health and education fields. Prof. Virginius Xaxa was appointed as the chairman of the seven member committee.
7. Sprinter Usain Bolt is widely regarded as the fastest person ever. He hails from which country?
Usain Bolt is a Jamaican sprinter widely regarded as the fastest person ever. He is the first person to hold both the 100 meters and 200 meters world records since fully automatic time measurements became mandatory in 1977.
8. The Sinai Peninsula, which was in news recently for Sinai Insurgency is a part of __?
9. The remuneration payable to the Attorney General of India is determined by?
[A]President of India
President of India
Article 76 of Indian Constitution envisages exclusively the provisions for Attorney General. This article has four clauses which collectively fulfil the provisions in respect to him. Clause (4) provides that his tenure of office is subject to pleasure of the President of India and his remuneration shall also be determined by the President.
10. The term Footloose industry refers to ___?
[A]Retail Trade Business
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|