GK & Current Affairs: February 12-13, 2014
1. Shirley Temple, who passed away recently, was a popular___?
Shirley Temple was an American film and television actress, singer, dancer and public servant, most famous as a child star in the 1930s. The curly-haired star made her acting debut at the age of three, going on to become the most famous child stars of all times, by starring hits like “Bright Eyes”, “Stand Up and Cheer” and “Curly Top”.
2. Who among the following has been named best woman Footballer of the year at the Indian Sports awards?
[A]Oinam Bembem Devi
[B]Usha Rani Das
Oinam Bembem Devi
Oinam Bembem Devi was conferred with the best Woman Footballer of the year at the India Sports awards.
3. In which year the railway finances of India were separated from the general finances?
Based on the recommendation of the 10 member Acworth-Committee in 1920-21, headed by British railway economist William Acworth the railway finances of India were separated from the general finances in 1924.
4. Which one of the following movies has bagged the best film award at Britain this year’s BAFTA awards?
[A]The Space Adventure
[D]12 Years A Slave
12 Years A Slave
British Director Steve McQueen’s 12 Years A Slave has been named best film at this year’s Bafta awards.
5. Which one of the following has declared best state in the implementation of rural tourism projects?
The Union Ministry of Tourism has declared Sikkim the best in the implementation of rural tourism projects.
6. Amar Kant, who passed away recently, was a noted writer in ___?
Amar Kant was a noted writer of Hindi literature. His novel Inhin Hathiyan Se earned him the Sahitya Akademi Award in 2007 and Vyas Samman in 2009. He has been awarded Jnanpith Award for the year 2009.
7. “HYLITES” which is in news recently, is a ____?
[A]New typhoon to hit East coast of India
[B]GPRS based railway enquiry system
[C]A new patrol vessel for Indian Navy
[D]A new galaxy
GPRS based railway enquiry system
HYLITES or Hyderabad Live Train Enquiry System is the new and fresh kind of railway enquiry system of India launched by South Central Railway. HYLITES is a GPS (Global Positioning System) and GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) based smart phone application that operates on android based platform. HYLITES will display real time information of the live status of Train information like arrival, departure, platform numbers etc from Secunderabad, Hyderabad and Kachigoda junctions and stations.
8. As per the latest all-India electoral rolls, which of the following South Indian states has poor voter sex ratio?
Karnataka is the only state in the South which has a poor voter sex ratio. As per the latest all-India electoral rolls released recently by Election Commission Karnataka has considerably fewer women voters than male voters on its rolls.
9. India’s Om Prakash Singh Karhana, who won gold medal in the 6th Asian Athletics Championships, is associated with which Sports/Events?
Shot Putter Om Prakash Singh Karhana won gold medal in the 6th Asian Indoor Athletics Championships at Hangzhou, China. He threw the iron ball to a distance of 19.07 m to clinch the gold.
10. Recently, which telecom company became the first in the country to cross 200 million subscribers?
Bharati Airtel, India’s biggest mobile service company, has become the first in the country to cross 200 million subscribers. The company, which is in its 20th year of telecom services, became the first mobile operator in the country to get more than 200 million mobile users.