Current Affairs Quiz: October 3, 2013
1. In October 2013, which of the following countries has announced its withdrawal from Commonwealth of Nations 48 years after joining?
Gambia has announced its withdrawal from the Commonwealth of Nations. President Yahya Jammeh government announced that Gambia had withdrawn its membership of the British Commonwealth ad decided that the Gambia will never be a member of any neo-colonial institution and will never be a party to any institution that represents an extension of colonialism.
2. Recently (October, 2013), which of the following has signed MoU with Archaeological Survey of India for an endeavour to create 360 degree online panoramic imagery of 100 nationally-important monuments in India?
Archaeological Survey of India has joined hands with Google India for an endeavour to create 360 degree online panoramic imagery of 100 nationally-important monuments in the country like Taj Mahal, Humayun’s Tomb, Khajuraho and the Ajantha and Ellora etc.
3. Which of the following herbs is making news as a possible low cost herbal remedy to purify drinking water?
Coriander has started gaining fame in the United States as a possible low cost herbal remedy to purify drinking water. A recent research has discovered that the leaves of the coriander are a potential “biosorbant” that can remove lead and other toxic heavy metals from contaminated water.
4. In October 2013, which of the following states government has decided to put ban on advertising of tobacco products in the state?
Kerala government said advertising of tobacco products would be soon be banned in state in keeping with section 5 of the Indian Tobacco Control Act, 2003.
5. Which of the following animals are susceptible to “Foot-and-Mouth Disease”?
Chose the correct answer from the codes given below:
[A]Only 1, 2 & 3
[B]Only 1, 2 & 4
[C]Only 2, 3 & 4
[D]1, 2, 3 & 4
1, 2, 3 & 4
Foot-and-mouth disease is an infectious and sometimes fatal viral disease that affects cloven-hoofed animals. Susceptible animals include cattle, water buffalo, sheep, goats, pigs, antelope, deer and bison.
6. Who among the following has been appointed as Brand Ambassador of National Tobacco Control campaign?
Union Healthy Ministry appointed former Indian cricket team captain Rahul Dravid as brand ambassador for its National Tobacco Control campaign.
7. The “Peace Mission-2013” is a joint military drill conducted by Russia and ____ ?
The Peace Mission-2013 is an anti-terror joint military exercise conducted by Russia and China.
8. “Patan Patola”, the ancient art of double sided saree belongs to which state?
“Patan Patola”, a double-sided saree from Gujarat. Recently it has got recognition from Geographical Indication registry of India.
9. Recently (October, 2013), which one of the following commenced the construction work for the joint venture 400 MW Shaukhevi hydroelectric project in Georgia?
10. Which of the following is the India’s first indigenously developed vaccine for “Japanese Encephalitis”?
JENVAC is the India’s first indigenously developed Japanese Encephalitis vaccine. It has been jointly developed by scientists of National Institute of Virology, Indian Council of Medical Research and Bharat Biotech Ltd.