GK & Current Affairs: July 1, 2, 2013
1. Which one of the following is the theme for “Statistics Day-2013”?
[A]Labour and Employment statistics
[B]Children in India statistics
[C]Employment and Poverty statistics
[D]Poverty and Unemployment statistics
Labour and Employment statistics
In the recognition of the notable contributions made by Late Prof. P C Mahalanobis in the fields of economic planning and statistical developments, the Government of India has designated 29th June every year, coinciding with his birth anniversary as the “Statistics Day”. The theme for this year’s Statistics Day is “Labour and Employment statistics”.
2. Recently, INS Trikand, the last of the three “Follow on Talwar Class” was commissioned into the India Navy. India had signed a contract to develop INS Trikand with which of the following country?
INS Trikand, the last of the three “Follow on Talwar Class” frigates built in the Russian Federation was commissioned into the India Navy at Kalilingrad, Russia by Vice Admiral R K Dhowan. The commissioning of INS Trikand marks the culmination of a three ship contract for “Follow on Talwar Class” ships.
3. Which of the following state has launched the “Atal Jyoti” campaign, which aimed at providing 24 hours power supply to rural areas?
[A]Jammu & Kashmir
Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Chouhan launched the “Atal Jyoti” campaign, aimed at providing 24X7 power supply in rural areas. Under the scheme, electricity is being supplied for domestic uses 24X7 and 10 hours a day for agriculture purpose.
4. Who among the following has been conferred the prestigious “Indian Healthcare Visionary of the Decade” award?
[A]Dr Mukesh Hariawala
[B]Dr Devi Shetty
[C]Dr Pratap Reddy
[D]Dr Sunil Chatri
Dr Mukesh Hariawala
Indian American cardiac surgeon and Healthcare Economist Dr Mukesh Hariawala was recently conferred the prestigious Indian Healthcare Visionary of the Decade award.
5. Recently, which one of the following country has been granted the Associate membership of the International Cricket Council?
Afghanistan was granted the Associate membership of the International Cricket Council, making it the eighth Asian nation and the 38th overall to get the status.
6. Which of the following country will host 2016 ICC World T20 cricket cup tournament?
Board of Cricket Control of India gets a chance to host two major events of International Cricket namely World Twenty20 for the first time in 2016 and 50 over World cup in 2023 by International Cricket Council. Apart from these two events India will also host the second edition of ICC World Test Championship scheduled in February-March 2021.
7. Which one of the following country has become the 28th member of the European Union?
Croatia has become the 28th member of the European Union. Croatia is the second country from country from the once war-torn former Yugoslavia to enter the bloc and first new EU member since Bulgaria and Romania joined in 2007. Croatia’s split from Yugoslavia triggered a 1991-1995 war to secure it independence.
8. Recently, which of the following Non-Banking Financial Company (NBFC) got approval from the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) for establishing as well as operating White Label ATMs?
[A]Power Finance Corp
[B]Mahindra and Mahindra
Muthoot Finance Ltd has received an in-principle authorization from the Reserve Bank of India for roll out of 9,000 White Label ATMs in three year’s. As per the company’s business plan, as many as 1,000 ATMs will be rolled out in the first year, 2,000 ATMs in the second year and 6,000 ATMs in the third year.
9. Which of the following company recently unveiled the World’s first Firefox operating smartphone?
Spains Telefonica is offering the world’s first smartphone with the Firefox operating system.
10. According latest research findings, juice extracted from which of the following plant leaves helps to cure dengue fever?
A team from the Institute for Medical Research in Kuala Lumpur discovered that the “Carica papaya” leaf juice helps increase platelet count in patients with dengue fever. The team conducted clinical trails on 228 patients with dengue fever and dengue hemorrhagic fever. Half of the patient received 50 grams of fresh papaya leaves for three consecutive days while the rest received standard treatment. The team studied the patient’s blood count for two days. They found that the platelets in the blood of the patients that received the juice had increased significantly.