GK & Current Affairs: January 8-9, 2014
1. Which one of the following is not a capital city of South Africa?
South Africa has three capital cities: Pretoria, Cape Town and Bloemfontein. Pretoria is the administrative capital and seat of the President of the cabinet. Cape Town is the legislative capital and the seat of the nation’s parliament. Bloemfontein serves as the judicial capital.
2. The Gangotri National Park, which is home to snow leopard, is located in ___?
3. Y B Datuk Seri Palanivel, who was the chief guest of Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas-2014, belongs to which country?
Indian origin Y B Datuk Seri Panivel is Malaysia’s Minister of Natural Resource and Environment.
4. The Agulhas and Kuroshio are the names refer for ___?
5. Consider the following:
Which of the above correctly represents the “Baltic Nations”?
[A]Only 1, 2 & 4
[B]Only 2, 3 & 4
[C]Only 1, 2 & 3
[D]1, 2, 3 & 4
Only 1, 2 & 3
The Baltic States are three northern European countries east of the Baltic Sea-Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, which gained independence from the Russian Empire in the wake of World War I.
6. Ila Pathak, who passed away recently, was a famous___?
Ila Pathak was a social activist. Pathak was the founder secretary of Ahmadabad Women’s Action Group (AWAG). Pathak played a key role in movement for justice to the victims of 2002 Gujarat riots. She also supported Manipur’s Irom Sharmila’s agitation against Armed Forces Special Power’s Act (ASPA).
7. Which of the following statements is true about “Nirbheek”?
[A]It is India’s first gun for woman
[B]A mobile app for woman safety
[C]Transport facility exclusively for women
[D]Fund for rehabilitation of rape victims
It is India’s first gun for woman
Nirbheek is India’s first firearm designed for women.
8. The “Sunil Gangopadhyay Memorial Award” is given for excellence in ___?
The Sunil Gangopadhyay Memorial Award is given for excellence in Bengali. It was instituted in 2012 by the Bengal, a cultural organisation following the demise of its immediate past President Late Shri Sunil Gangopadhyay. Eminent poet and litterateur Nirendranath Chakravarty and Sankha Ghosh are the recipient of the 2012 and 2013 award respectively.
9. As per the YouGov poll survey, who among the following has been named as the most admired person in world?
Microsoft founder Bill Gates has been named as the most admired person in the world. The world most admired people poll was conducted by YouGov for The Times by surveying almost 14,000 people across 13 countries including India. There were four Indians in the top ten and seven overall in the list of 30 most-admired people. Sachin Tendulkar is fifth on a list of 30 people.
10. World’s first Bitcoin storage service that insures deposits of the digital currency against loss and theft has launched in ___?
The World’s first Bitcoin storage service that insures deposits of the digital currency against loss and theft has launched in London. The new Bitcoin storage services offering insurance in UK, named elliptic Vault, uses “deep cold storage” technique to secure the digital currency.
Category: Daily Current Affairs Quiz « Previous QuizNext Quiz »