General Knowledge and Current Affairs Quiz: December 19-20, 2013
1. Who among the following has won the women’s title at Senior National Badminton Championships?
[B]P V Sindhu
P V Sindhu
P V Sindhu and Kidambi Srikanth won the women’s and men’s titles respectively, at the 78th Senior National Badminton Championships. World Championship bronze medallist Sindhu won her second national title after 2011.
2. The Nuer ethnic group, which was making news recently, concentrated in which among the following countries?
The Nuer people are an ethnic group primarily inhabiting the Nile Valley. They are concentrated in South Sudan, with some representative also found in south western Ethiopia. The ongoing clash in South Sudan witnessed more than 200 people, mostly ethnic Nuers had been shot by security forces.
3. Which of the following are member countries of the proposed BCIM economic corridor?
[A]Bangladesh, China, India and Myanmar
[B]Bhutan, China, India and Myanmar
[C]Bangladesh, China, India and Malaysia
[D]Bangladesh, China, Indonesia and Myanmar
Bangladesh, China, India and Myanmar
The Bangladesh-China-India-Myanmar (BCIM) economic corridor, a strategic economic partnership corridor proposed by the long-standing BCIM forum. The corridor is expected to ease the flow of good’s between two of the world’s largest economies in India and China, while providing greater economic resource to the burgeoning markets of Bangladesh and Myanmar.
4. G.S. Shivarudrappa, who passed away recently, was a distinguished poet in which language?
G.S. Shivarudrappa was Kannada poet, writer and researcher. He was awarded the title of Rashtrakavi by the Karnataka government in 2006. He was the third poet to be honoured with the prestigious title of Rashtrakavi, after Manjeshwara Govinda Pai and Kuvempu.
5. The “Cheruvally” cow is native breed cattle of ____?
Cheruvally cow is native breed cattle of Kerala. Recently a major project for conservation of Cheruvally cattle has been started by the Venchur Conservation Trust with the financial support of the Kerala State Biodiversity Board to register it as a native breed with the National Bureau of Animal Genetic Resources.
6. Recently, Zaheer khan has become the 4th Indian bowler to take 300 wickets in test match. Who among the following occupy the first three places?
Chose the correct answer from the codes given below:
[A]Only 1, 2 & 4
[B]Only 1, 3 & 4
[C]Only 1, 2 & 3
[D]Only 2, 3 & 4
Only 1, 2 & 3
Zaheer Khan became the fourth Indian to achieve the 300-wicket mark in Test matches when he dismissed Jacques Kallis on the fifth day of the first test at the Wanderers in Johannesburg. Zaheer joins Kapil Dev, Anil Kumble and Harbhajan Singh in the elite list.
7. In context to India’s defence structure “Agni missile” is _____?
8. As per the latest study, which of the following is regarded the most progressive city in the country, in terms of public transportation?
Kolkata is regarded the most progressive city in the country, in terms of public transportation. The study of 84 cities across the world titled “Future of Urban Mobility” ranks Kolkata at 31 highest among the six cities studied in India. While Mumbai (41) comes second, Chennai (54) comes third followed by Hyderabad (55), Bangalore (65) and Delhi (79).
9. In which one of the following countries world’s first artificial heart transplant performed, recently?
For the first time, an artificial heart that may give patient up to five years of extra life has been successfully implemented in a 75-year-old French man. The artificial heart, designed by French biomedical firm Carmat, is powered by Lithium-ion batteries that can be worn externally.
10. With which one of the following countries India signed a programme on cultural exchange, recently?
India and Venezuela recently signed a Programme on Cultural Exchange. Programme on Cultural Exchange shall be valid for three years. Thereafter, it shall be renewed automatically for a term of three years at a time unless either party gives in writing an advance notice of its intension to terminate.