GK & Current Affairs Quiz: October 28, 2013
1. The “Abyei region” is a disputed are between which of the following countries?
[A]Sudan and South Sudan
[B]Germany and Switzerland
[C]Pakistan and Afghanistan
[D]China and Japan
Sudan and South Sudan
Abye region is an oil rich disputed area bordered by South Sudan and North Sudan.
2. Which of the following islands have been named as the new “hope spot” by IUCN recently?
1.Andaman and Nicobar
Chose the correct answer from codes given below:
[C]Only 1 & 2
[D]1, 2, 3 & 4
Only 1 & 2
Andaman and Nicobar and Lakshadweep Islands have been named as the new “hope spot” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) and oceanographer Sylvia Earle of Mission Blue an organisation involved in the study of ocean. A hope spot is an area of ocean that merits special protection because of its wildlife and significant underwater habitats. The two islands are the first hope spots in India and part of 31 new hope spots across the world added to the existing 19 hope spot.
3. Who among the following has been awarded with the prestigious Mother Teresa Memorial International Award for Social Justice?
Bollywood actress and former Miss Universe Sushmita Sen has been bestowed with the prestigious Mother Teresa Memorial International Award for Social Justice.
4. In which of the following countries “Mount Taranaki” is located?
Mount Taranaki or Mount Egmont, is an active but quiescent stratovolcano in the Taranaki region on the west coast of New Zealand’s North Island.
5. Which one of the following is a recently launched pension and life insurance fund scheme for blue collar Indian workers?
[A]Rajiv Gandhi Pravasi Suraksha Yojana
[B]Mahatma Gandhi Pravasi Sandhya Yojana
[C]Rajiv Gandhi Pravasi Sandhya Yojana
[D]Mahatma Gandhi Pravasi Suraksha Yojana
Mahatma Gandhi Pravasi Suraksha Yojana
Mahatma Gandhi Pravasi Suraksha Yojana, a pension and life insurance fund scheme for blue collar Indian workers, formally launched for gulf region by the Union Minister of Overseas Indian Affairs. The scheme will cover 5 million overseas blue collar Indian workers who have the Emigration Clearance Required category passport in 17 countries.
6. Which of the following states has decided to start captive breeding of the Vultures as there is drastic decline in population of the scavenger birds?
Tripura forest department has decided to start captive breeding of the vultures at the Sipahijala Wildlife Sanctuary near Agartala. The move is to increase the number of scavenger birds as their number is declining drastically.
7. Scientists from which of the following countries have developed the world’s first vaccine for bird flu H7N9 virus recently?
Chinese scientists have independently developed a vaccine for the H7N9 bird flu virus-a bug that killed at least 45 people since March. The vaccine was jointly developed by the first affiliated hospital of Zhejiang University’s School of Medicine, the University of Hong Kong, the Chinese Centre for Disease Control and Prevention and the Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences.
8. Who among the following is the author of “The Accidental Apprentice”?
[A]K. M. Chandrasekhar
[C]Vijay K. Nambiar
Author-diplomat Vikas Swarup ’s third novel The Accidental Apprentice will be adapted into a film by director Sriram Raghvan. The book is a fast-paced suspense story set in contemporary India. The premise is real yet fantastic. Swarup’s first book “Q and A”, which won him South Africa’s Boeke Prize in 2006, was famously adapted into a film by Danny Boyle as Slumdog Millionaire, which won eight Academy Awards in 2009. (Financial Chronicle)
9. Who among the following Indians has been awarded France highest civilian award Chevalier de la Legion d’Honneur” recently?
10. Who among the following is the chairman of the committee constituted to implement a national bill payment system?
The RBI has constituted an advisory group to implement a national bill payment system enabling households to pay utility bills, school fees, and remittances using their bank accounts. The nine-member group, headed by Umesh Bellur of Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, would give its report by the end of the December. The panel would suggest the nature of the payment platform either-for Giro (general inter-bank recurring order) based bill payments.
« Previous QuizNext Quiz »