GK & Current Affairs Quiz: October 29, 2013
1. The year 2013 marks the 50th years of Establishment of Diplomatic Ties between India and Peru. Which among the following is the capital of Peru?
Lima is the capital and the largest city of Peru.
2. What is the newfangled name for the Targeted Public Distribution System (PDS)?
[A]Anna Bhagya Yojana
[B]Indiramma Anna Yojana
[C]Indira Ahara Yojana
[D]Bharat Anna Yojana
Indiramma Anna Yojana
The cabinet committee headed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh finalised a new name “Indiramma Aanna Yojana” for the existing Targeted Public Distribution Scheme.
3. Who among the following has been appointed as next Air Force Chief of India?
Air Marshal Arup Raha, an ace fighter pilot, will be the next Air Force chief succeeding incumbent Air Chief Marshal NAK Browne, who is retiring on December 31. 59 year-old Air Marshal Raha is expected to have tenure of three years as the Chief of Air Staff.
4. The US space agency NASA is preparing to launch MAVEN spacecraft to probe the atmosphere on the __?
NASA is preparing to launch its Mars Atmosphere and Volatile Evolution (MAVEN) spacecraft to probe the atmosphere on the Red Planet. Maven will study Mars to help scientists work out how it managed to lose an atmosphere that was once believed to be thicker than that of earth. The mission is due to launch on 18 November from Florida and arrive on Mars on 22 September 2014.
5. What is India’s rank in ‘Ease of Doing Business’ ranking which is released recently by World Bank?
India ranked a lowly 134 in the ease of doing business index, but implemented the most number of business regulatory reforms in 2012-13 in the South Asian region. India has made an improvement of 0.5 percentage points in what is called “the distance of frontier” measure with a range between 0 and 100, with 100 representing the best performance of the frontier. Singapore tops the global ranking on the ease of doing business.
6. Which of the following states has been named as the best region to visit in 2014 by a leading travel guide Lonely Planet?
Scenic northeast Indian state Sikkim has been named as the best region to visit in 2014 by a leading travel guide Lonely Planet, with Brazil emerging as the top destination in terms of countries. Sikkim was chosen as the best region to go to, with Paris the top city in a list that also included Cape Town, Shanghai, and Chicago.
7. As per the latest Forbes magazine’s annual list of India’s 100 richest, top three richest business tycoons of India are?
[A]Mukesh Ambani, Lakshmi Mittal and Azim Premji
[B]Mukesh Ambani, Azim Premji and Lakshmi Mittal
[C]Lakshmi Mittal, Mukesh Ambani and Dilip Shanghvi
[D]Mukesh Ambani, Lakshmi Mittal and Dilip Shanghvi
Mukesh Ambani, Lakshmi Mittal and Dilip Shanghvi
Mukesh Ambani with net worth of $21 billion has retained his title as India’s wealthiest for sixth year in row. NRI steel tycoon Lakshmi Mittal (USD 16 billion) also continues to hold the second position, while Sun Pharma’s Dilip Shanghvi has jumped to third place with about 50 per cent surge in his wealth to $13.9 billion. Azim Premji is on fourth place.
8. The “She Taxi” project, which is aimed at ensuring safe travel for women, will be launched in which state?
Kerala government is all set to launch “She Taxi” project, aimed at ensuring safe travel for women. The project is being launched by “Gender Park” an autonomous institution promoted by the Department of Social Justice and the Kerala State Women’s Development Corporation to resolve gender inequality in development. The project will be launched in Thiruvanthapuram by mid-November, the first phase will see the launch of 25 taxis in the capital.
9. Which among the following states / union territories of India makes maximum revenue by legal gambling?
Goa rakes in Rs. 100 crore in taxes per year from the gambling industry, and accounts for 95% of all legal gambling in the country. Sikkim and Daman make up the rest.
10. The Senkaku/Diaoyu islands are claimed by __:
Choose the correct option from the codes given below:
[A]1 & 2
[B]2 & 3
[C]1 & 3
[D]1, 2 & 3
1, 2 & 3
Japan, China and Taiwan claim them; they are controlled by Japan and form part of Okinawa prefecture. Japanese businessman Kunioki Kurihara owned three of the islands but sold them to the Japanese state in September 2012 The islands were also the focus of a major diplomatic row between Japan and China in 2010.