GK & Current Affairs: August 11, 2013
1. Recently (August, 2013), US International Trade Commission has imposed ban on importing and selling of which mobiles in the US market?
The US International Trade Commission ordered a ban on the import and sale of some Samsung electronics mobile devices after finding they infringed on two Apple Inc’s patents. The ITC found Samsung guilty of infringing on two patents: one that covers touch-screen technology and one dealing with headphone jacks.
2. Which among the following pairs of primitive tribes and places of their inhabitation not correctly matched?
[A]Hakki Pikki – Karnataka
[B]Gawada – Goa
[C]Gaddi – Himachal Pradesh
[D]Irulas – Kerala
Irulas – Kerala
The Irula tribes of Tamil Nadu occupy the lower slopes and forests at the base of Niligiri Hills. They constitute the second largest groups of tribes after the Badagas and are similar to the Kurumbas in many ways.
3. Recently, NASA astronomers have solved a 40 year mystery on the origin of the Magellanic Stream. Magellanic Stream is a long ribbon gas orbiting which of the following galaxies?
Astronomers using NASA’s Hubble Telescope have solved a 40-year mystery on the origin of the Magellanic Stream, a long ribbon of gas stretching nearly halfway around our Milky Way galaxy. The Large and Small Magellanic clouds, two dwarf galaxies orbiting the Milky Way, are at the head of the gaseous stream. Since the stream’s discovery by radio telescope in the early 1970s, astronomers have wondered whether the gas comes from one or both of the satellite galaxies. New Hubble observations reveal most of the gas was stripped from the small Magallanic Cloud about 2 billion years ago, and a second region of the stream originated more recently from the Large Magellanic Cloud.
4. Ritchie’s Archipelago form part of_______?
[D]Daman and Diu
Ritchie’s Archipelago is a cluster of smaller islands which lie some 25-30 km east of Great Andaman, the main island group of the Andaman Islands. The archipelago comprises some four larger islands, 7 smaller islands and several islets, extending in a roughly north-south chain, parallel to the main Andaman group.
5. Which of the following nations are considered triad nuclear powers?
Choose the correct answers from the code given below:
[A]Only 1, 2 & 4
[B]Only 1 & 2
[C]Only 2 & 4
[D]Only 1, 2 & 3
Only 1 & 2
A nuclear triad refers to a nuclear arsenal which consists of three components, traditionally strategic bombers, intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs), and submarine launched ballistic missiles (SLBMs). Currently, United States and Russia are considered triad nuclear powers.
6. Which one of the following companies rolled out “ALZUMAb” world’s first novel anti-CD6 antibody to treat psoriasis?
Biotechnology firm Biocon rolled out its first biologic drug ALZUMAb for the treatment of auto-immune disease psoriasis. ALZUMAb will also be the world’s first novel anti CD-6 antibody to treat psoriasis.
7. According to TRAI Telecommunication Mobile Number Portability (Fifth Amendment) Regulations, 2013 how many corporate mobile numbers of service providers can be ported to another service provider through letter of authorization?
Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) issues the Telecommunication Mobile Portability (Fifth Amendment) regulations, 2013 for corporate mobiles numbers. As per the amendments Upto 50 corporate mobile numbers of a service provider can be ported to another service through letter of authorization from the authorized signatory of the corporate mobile numbers, in a single porting request.
8. “Animus in Consulendo Liber” is the motto of ___?
9. Recently, Jeff Bezos has agreed to purchase the American daily newspaper “The Washington Post” for $250 million in cash. Jeff Bezos is the CEO of __?
10. Recently, which among the following two countries agreed to resume talks on reopening the Kaesong industrial zone?
[A]North Korea and South Korea
[B]Japan and China
[C]China and Russia
[D]North Korea and Japan
North Korea and South Korea
Category: Daily Current Affairs Quiz « Previous QuizNext Quiz »