GK & Current Affairs: August 10, 2013
1. Which one of the following Islands is a source of dispute between Spain and Britain?
[D]Diego Garcia Islands
Gibraltar is a British overseas territory, near the southernmost tip of the Iberian Peninsula, which is subject of a disputed claim by Spain.
2. The United Nations International Day of the World’s Indigenous People is observed on____?
The United Nations International Day of the World’s Indigenous People is observed on August 9 each year to promote and protect the rights of the world’s indigenous peoples.
3. With respect to “Sweet Crude Oil” which of the following statements is true?
[A]It is a type of petroleum with lower level of sulfur
[B]It is a type of petroleum with higher level of sulfur
[C]It is a type of petroleum with fructose blended
[D]It is a type of petroleum with high amounts of hydrogen sulfide
It is a type of petroleum with lower level of sulfur
Sweet crude oil is a type of petroleum. The New York Mercantile Exchange designates petroleum with less than 0.42% sulfur as sweet. Petroleum containing higher levels of sulfur is called sour crude oil. Sweet crude oil contains small amounts of hydrogen sulfide and carbon dioxide. High quality, low-sulfur crude oil is commonly used for processing into gasoline and is in high demand, particularly in highly industrialized nations.
4. Who among the following has won the Gujar Mal Modi Award for Science and Technology 2013?
[A]V P Sharma
[B]A K Sood
[C]M G Menon
[D]K S Valdiya
V P Sharma
Vinod Prakash Sharma an eminent scientist won the Gujar Mal Modi Award for Science and Technology 2013. He received the award for his contribution in the field of basic and applied research and Malaria and Vector Biology. Sharma was presented with a scroll of honour, a silver shield and a cash prize of 2.01 lakh rupees. Prof. Satish Dhawan was the first recipient of the award in the 1988 for his contribution in field of space and Remote Sensing Technology.
5. Automobile Industry sector, contribute what percent of the country’s manufacturing GDP?
The automobile industry is one of the India’s major sectors; accounting for 25% of the country’s manufacturing GDP.
6. The famous Dudhsagar Falls in Goa, is located on which of the following Rivers?
Dudhsagar Falls is a tiered waterfall located on the Mandovi River. As the cascading water appears white like milk, the waterfall is called Dudhsagar, Doodh being the Hindi word for milk.
7. Recently (August, 2013), RBI has announced that it will sell government bonds worth ___ crore rupees every Monday to check volatility in the foreign exchange market. Fill the blank with correct option?
Reserve Bank of India has decided to sell Government Bonds worth 22000 crore rupees every Monday to check volatility in the forex market. The measure is a part of a continuing effort to arrest the slide in the rupee, which hit record intra-day low of Rs 61.80 against the dollars.
8. Which of the following states gives out “Bharat Bharti Samma” a prestigious literary award?
Bharat Bharti Samman is the highest literary honour of the Uttar Pradesh State.
9. Recently (August, 2013), which one of the following countries has agreed to sell 145 state-of-the-art 155 mm towed Howitzers to India?
The United State has decided to sell 145 state-of-the-art 155mm towed Howitzers to India worth about %885 million to improve the security of an important partner for political stability, peace, and economic progress in South Asia.
10. Who among the followings has become the first Indian woman player to clinch an individual medal at the World Badminton Championship?
[A]P V Sindhu
P V Sindhu
P V Sindhu became the first Indian woman player to win an individual medal at the World Badminton Championship. By defeating former world No.1 Shixian Wang in straight games, Sindhu assured India a bronze medal at the Tianhe Indoor Stadium in Guangzhou, China. This is the only third time and the first in women’s singles that India will be bringing home a medal from the Worlds.
Category: Daily Current Affairs Quiz « Previous QuizNext Quiz »