Current Affairs Quiz: October 11, 2013
1. Which of the following organisations has won 2013 Nobel Peace Prize?
[B]Organisation for Prohibition of Chemical weapons
[D]Human Rights Organisation
Organisation for Prohibition of Chemical weapons
The Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW), the body overseeing the destruction of Syria’s chemical arsenal, has won the 2013 the Nobel Peace Prize. The OPCW, based in The Hague, was established to enforce the 1997 Chemical Weapons Convention.
2. Which of the following are India’s largest onion producing states?
[A]Maharashtra, Karnataka, Gujarat
[B]Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Rajasthan
[C]Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Madhya Pradesh
[D]Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Gujarat
Maharashtra, Karnataka, Gujarat
3. As per the latest data, which country surpassed United States as the world’s biggest net oil importer?
US government data shows China passed the US in September as the World’s biggest net oil importer, driven by faster economic growth and strong auto sales.
4. What is the permissible range of Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) for drinking water?
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) is a measure of the combined content of all inorganic and organic substances contained in a liquid in molecular, ionized or micro granular suspended form. The threshold of acceptable aesthetic criteria for human drinking water is 500 mg/l.
5. Which of the following ASEN countries and their current Prime Ministers is not correctly matched?
[A]Vietnam – Nguyen Tan Dung
[B]Singapore – Lee Hsien Loong
[C]Malaysia – Yingluck Shinawatra
[D]Laos – Thongsing Thammavong
Malaysia – Yingluck Shinawatra
Malaysia Prime Minister is Najib Tun Razak
6. “Fracking” is a method of extracting _____ ?
[A]Oil from rock
[B]Gas from rock
[C]Oil from Bio mass
[D]Gas from soil
Oil from rock
Fracking is short for hydraulic fracturing. It’s a water intensive process where millions of gallons of fluid typically water, sand and chemicals, including one known to cause cancer are injected underground at high pressure to fracture the rock surrounding an oil or gas well.
7. The “Maitri Thermal Power” project is a joint venture of India and which country?
Maitri Thermal Power” project is a 1,320 MW joint venture of India and Bangladesh.
8. Recently (October, 2013), Indira Ghandi International airport signed a MoU called Sister Airport Agreement with which airport?
With an aim to further strengthen trade and tourism links between the two cities, the Indira Ghandi International Airport and Birmingham Airport entered into a MoU called Sister Airport Agreement.
9. Which of the following is named as “Asia’s Best Strong Lager Beer” at the prestigious World Beer award 2013?
United Breweries beer brand Kingfisher Strong has been recognised as “Asia’s Best Strong Lager Beer” at the prestigious World Beer Award-2013 held in UK.
10. What is the name of the world’s oldest movie theatre that reopened recently?
[B]The Eden Theatre
[D]The Thespian Hall
The Eden Theatre
The Eden Theatre, the world’s oldest cinema reopens after an extensive refurbishment in the French city of La Ciotat, where the Lumiere brothers screened the very first moving picture of a train arriving at the local situation in 1899. The Eden Theatre closed since 1995.
« Previous QuizNext Quiz »