GK & Current Affairs: August 11, 12, 2014
1. The “Mount Blanc” is the highest mountain in the ____?
Mount Blanc or Monte Blanco both meaning white mountain is the highest mountain in the Alps and the European Union.
2. Union Cabinet has recently approved the Ken-Betwa river link. This river linking project will help the states of __?
[A]Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh
[B]Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan
[C]Uttar Pradesh and Bihar
[D]Gujarat and Rajasthan
Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh
The Ken-Betwa river link is currently set to benefit the states of Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh. The cost of the project, budgeted at over Rs 9000 crore, is expected to transfer surplus water from the Ken to the Betwa basin through a 221 kilometre long canal.
3. “Maryam Mirzakhani”, the first woman ever to win the Fields Medal (Nobel Prize in mathematics) is from __?
Iranian born Maryam Mirzakhani, a professor at Stanford University became the first woman ever to win the top prize in mathematics. Maryam received the Fields Medal, known as the Nobel Prize of mathematics, at the International Congress of Mathematics in Seoul, South Korea.
4. Which among the following states is the host of Paragliding World Cup 2015?
[A]Jammu & Kashmir
Himachal Pradesh has been selected as venue to host Paragliding World Cup 2015. This will be the first Paragliding World Cup to be hosted in India. The tournament will be organised under the auspices of Paragliding World Cup association, France.
5. Robin Williams, who passed away recently, was a famous ____?
[A]Nobel winning author
[B]Actor and Comedian
Actor and Comedian
Robin Williams was an American actor and comedian. Williams was nominated for the Academy award for best actor three times and won the academy award for best supporting actor for his performance in Good Will Hunting. He also received two Emmy Awards, four Golden Globe Awards, two Screen Actors Guild awards and five Grammy awards.
6. Who among the following has won the Best Parliamentarian award for the year 2012?
Arun Jaitley, Dr Karan Singh and Sharad Yadav have been conferred the Best Parliamentarian award for the year 2010, 2011 and 2012 respectively.
7. The “Nimoo Bazgo Hydroelectric Project” is in ___?
[C]Jammu and Kashmir
Jammu and Kashmir
The Nimoo Bazgo Hydroelectric project is a 45MW run-off-the-river power project on the Indus River in Jammu and Kashmir.
8. Which of the below countries celebrate Independence Day on August 15? 1. Korea 2. Congo 3. Lichtenstein 4. Cuba Choose the correct option from the codes given below:
[A]Only 1 & 4
[B]Only 2 & 3
[C]Only 1, 2 & 3
[D]1, 2, 3 & 4
Only 1, 2 & 3
Korea, Congo, Liechtenstein and India celebrate their Independence Day on August 15. On August 15, 1948 the Republic of Korea was established south of the 38th parallel. August 15 is celebrated liberation day on Korea. On August 15, 1960, the Republic of Congo declared its Independence from France. Liechtenstein Day is celebrated on August 15.
9. The Indian origin mathematician, who recently won 2014 Fields Medal, widely considered the Nobel Prize for maths is ?
Indian origin Manjul Bhargava was among the four winners who have been awarded the Fields Medal, widely considered the Nobel Prize for maths instituted in 1936.
10. Recently, Apple Company has decided to prohibit the use of two toxic chemicals “benzene” and “n-hexane” in the assembly of its electronics. As per the studies exposure to benzene causes ____?
[B]High Blood Pressure
Apple decided to eliminate the use of two toxic chemicals in its manufacturing process. The company will prohibit the use of benzene and n-hexane in the assembly of its electronics. Benzene is a carcinogen associated with leukaemia and workers who are exposed high concentration of n-hexane in large doses can develop nerve damage.
Category: Daily Current Affairs Quiz « Previous QuizNext Quiz »