GK & Current Affairs: May 10-11, 2014
1. Himalayan Kumbh is held every 12 years in which among the following states?
[A] Himachal Pradesh
[C] Jammu & Kashmir
Nandadevi Raj Jaat yatra also described as Himalayan Kumbh will be held in every 12 years in Uttarakhand.
2. Which among the following countries has topped the list of World Mothers Index-2014?
Finland ranked number one in the world mother’s index compiled by save the children followed by Norway, Sweden and Iceland.
3. The “SANA” is the national official news agency of ___?
The SANA or Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) is the national official news agency in Syria. It was established in 1965.
4. Who among the following has been named World Snooker Player of the Year?
Ronnie O’Sullivan has been named world Snooker Player of the Year.
5. India’s “Ankita Raina” is associated with which of the following sports/events?
Ankita Raina is a professional tennis player. Raina has won four singles and five doubles title on the ITF tour in her career.
6. In India, National Technology Day is celebrated on May 11 to commemorate the_____?
[A]Launch of India’s first Satellite
[B]Establishment of ISRO
[C]Nuclear tests at Pokhran
[D]Inclusion of Brahmo’s missile to the army
Nuclear tests at Pokhran
On 11th May, 1998 India achieved a major technological breakthrough by successfully carrying out nuclear tests at Pokhran. Also first, indigenous aircraft “Hansa-3” was test flown at Bangalore on this day and India also performed successful test firing of the Trishul missile on the same day. Considering all these achievements 11th May was chosen to be commemorated as National Technology Day.
7. Which among the following share largest volume of the country’s total vegetable oil imports?
[C]Ground nut oil
India meets about 60 per cent of its annual vegetable oil demand of 17-18 million tonne via imports. Palm oils make up 80 per cent of the country’s total vegetable oil imports.
8. Who among the following has won the Spanish Grand Prix-2014?
Lewis Hamilton won the Spanish Grand Prix for Mercedes to chalk up his fourth victory in a row and wrest the Formula One championship lead from German team-mate Nico Rosberg.
9. The “Benuban Vihar monastery”, one of the important pilgrim centres of Buddhism is located in ____?
The Benuban Vihar monastery is in Agartala, Tripura. It is considered one of the important pilgrim centres for Buddhism in northeast India.
10. Recently, an RBI panel has recommended that the government should reduce its holding in public sector banks to below 50 per cent. This panel was headed by __?