GK & Current Affairs: April 9-10, 2014
1. Recently, the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) sought a report from the health ministry on the action taken to stop the use of calcium carbide in the country. Calcium Carbide is mainly used in __?
[A]Artificial Fruit ripening
[B]Production of Gutkha
[C]Preparation of convenience foods
[D]Reduction of fat content in baking products
Artificial Fruit ripening
Calcium carbide is used to artificially ripen fruit such as mangoes, bananas, oranges and watermelons despite a ban by the government. In India, use of calcium carbide is strictly banned under the Prevention of Food Adulteration Act because it contains traces of arsenic and phosphorus, which pose a serious threat to human health.
2. The celebration of Songkran in Thailand, Thingyan in Myanmar and Aluth Avurudda in Sri Lanka coincides with which among the following festivals in India?
Songkran is a term for Mesh Sankranti. It is celebrated as New Year (Songkran) in Thailand and several Southeast Asian countries when the sun transits the constellation of Aries, the first astrological sign in the Zodiac. The same is celebrated as Thingyan in Myanmar, Aluth Avurudda in Sri Lanka, Cambodian New Year (Chaul Chnam Thmey), Pohela Boishakh in West Bengal and Bangladesh.
3. Which among the following is the main focus area of Amnesty International?
[A]Give vent for amnesty of prisoners in death row
[B]Protecting rights of women and children
[C]Protecting human rights
[D]Elimination of racism
Protecting human rights
4. The term “garden of southern India” is used for __?
Cauvery or Dakshin Ganga breaks into a large number of distributaries forming a wide delta called the “garden of southern India.”
5. Which of the following countries is not a part of the Arctic Circle?
The land on the Arctic Circle is divided among the eight countries: Norway, Sweden, Finland, Russia, USA, Canada, Denmark and Iceland.
6. “Twenty Years in a Decade” is an autobiography of __?
[A]Shah Rukh Khan
Shah Rukh Khan
Twenty Years in a Decade is the autobiography of Shah Rukh Khan. The autobiography would contain the journey of Shah Rukh Khan from a small television actor to top hero of Bollywood.
7. Ajinomoto is a special salt added to certain food items, is ____?
Ajinomoto is also known as monosodium glutamate. It is a kind of salt and is added in the Chinese cuisine to enhance the taste.
8. In economy, the term QIP stands for___?
[A]Quality Improvement Programme
[B]Qualified Institutional Placement
[C]Quarterly Investment Programme
[D]Qualified Investment Project
Qualified Institutional Placement
Qualified Institutional Placement (QIP) is a capital-raising tool, primarily used in India and other part of southern Asia, whereby a listed company can issue equity shares, fully and partly convertible debentures, or any securities other than warrants which are convertible to equity shares to qualified institutional buyers.
9. The most intensive solar flares are designated as__?
Solar flares are classified as A, B, C, M or X according to the peak flux (in watts per square metre, W/m2) of 100 to 800 picometre X-rays near Earth, as measured on the GOES spacecraft.
10. Recently Nasa scientists have found evidence that one of the Saturn’s moons harbours a vast ocean of liquid water beneath an icy crust. Which among the following is that moon?
Enceladus was detected as having geysers of water shooting out from its surface, suggesting the presence of liquid water deep in its core. It was confirmed in 2014. Enceladus is one of only three outer Solar System bodies (along with Jupiter’s moon Io and Neptune’s moon Triton) where active eruptions have been observed. The craters of Enceladus have been named Alibaba and Alladin.
Category: Daily Current Affairs Quiz « Previous QuizNext Quiz »