GK & Current Affairs: March 12, 2014
1. The Hutti and Uti mines in India are famous for __?
India has only three major working gold mines-Hutti and Uti (both in Karnataka) along with the Hirabuddini mines in Jharkhand.
2. The Humboldt Current is a cold, low salinity ocean current which has considerable cooling influence on the climate of _____?
[A]Chile and Peru
[B]Chile and Brazil
[C]Brazil and Cuba
[D]Chile and US
Chile and Peru
The Humboldt Current is a cold, low salinity ocean current that flows north along the west coast of South America from the southern tip of Chile to northern Peru. The Humboldt has a considerable cooling influence on the climate of Chile, Peru and Ecuador.
3. Currently, India’s per capita steel consumption is approximately ____?
India’s per capita steel consumption is 59 kg, as against the world average of over 210 kg, and 460 kg in China.
4. Which among the following sectors contributes maximum excise revenue to Indian exchequer?
[A]Oil and Gas
Oil and Gas
Oil and Gas industry is the largest contributor to excise revenues in India followed by Steel industry.
5. Which one of the following states does not comes under the Horticulture Mission for North East and Himalayan states scheme?
[D]Jammu & Kashmir
Horticulture Mission for North East and Himalayan states is a centrally sponsored scheme for overall development of Horticulture. The mission cover states including Sikkim and three Himalayan states namely Jammu & Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh and Uttarkhand.
6. The “Khavda Flamingo Colony” which is one of the biggest flamingo colonies in the world found in which state?
Khavda Flamingo Colony is in Gujarat. It is reputed among the biggest flamingo colony in the world. Each year, about half a million flamingos migrate from hotter climates to the watery expanse of this area to breed.
7. Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) is a process control system designed to identify and prevent microbial and other hazards in____?
Hazard analysis and critical control points or HACCP is a systematic preventive approach to food safety and biological, chemical, and physical hazards in production processes that can cause the finished product to be unsafe, and designs measurements to reduce these risks to a safe level. In this manner, HACCP is referred as the prevention of hazards rather than finished product inspection. The HACCP system can be used at all stages of a food chain, from food production and preparation processes including packaging, distribution, etc.
8. Which among the following is/are Rabi crops?
Chose the correct answer from the codes given below:
[A]Only 1, 2 & 3
[B]Only 1, 2 & 4
[C]Only 1, 3 & 4
[D]1, 2, 3 & 4
Only 1, 3 & 4
9. Which of the following nutrients are most likely to be affected by food processing and storage?
10. Which among the following is the largest foreign bank operating in India in terms of asset base?
Citibank is the largest foreign bank operating in India in terms of asset base. Other key foreign banks are StanChart, which has 100 branches, HSBC 50, Deutsche Bank 17 and DBS 12 branches. As of March 2013, there were 43 foreign banks in India with 333 branches.