GK & Current Affairs : March 13, 2014
1. Who among the following will be named goodwill ambassadors of the 2014 Incheon Asian Games?
Olympic bronze medallist wrestler Sushil Kumar and star archer Deepika Kumari will be named goodwill ambassador of the 2014 Incheon Asian Games.
2. The “Saint Helena Island” located in the middle Atlantic Ocean is a dependency of ___?
Saint Helena is an island of volcanic origin in the South Atlantic Ocean. It is part of the British Overseas Territory.
3. Which among the following states has highest number of primate species found in any Indian state?
Tripura has highest number of primate species found in any Indian state.
4. The Intellectual Property Appellate Board of India comes under the purview of which ministry?
[A]Ministry of Overseas Affairs
[B]Ministry of Commerce and Industry
[C]Ministry of Science and Technology
[D]Ministry of Finance
Ministry of Commerce and Industry
Intellectual Property Appellate Board (IPAB) constituted by a Gazette notification of the central government in the ministry of Commerce and Industry in 2003. The IPAB has its headquarters at Chennai and shall have sitting at Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata and Ahmadabad.
5. Recently, Union government has launched a nation-wide campaign awareness campaign to curb the spread of dengue disease. The campaign has been named as___?
[A]Kill Dengue Before it Kills You
[B]U and ME against Dengue
[C]Dengue: No More
[D]Dengue Free India
U and ME against Dengue
A nation-wide campaign titled “U & Me Against Dengue” has been launched with an aim to raise awareness and control the rising number of dengue cases across the country. The drive will reach out to over 65,000 school children across 130 schools and 85,000 households to conduct fumigation drive, street plays, neem plantation and cleanliness drive. The campaign will be rolled out in phases across Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Kolkata, Pune and Ahmadabad.
6. Which among the following is the longest National Waterways of India?
[A]Allahabad to Haldia
[B]Sadia to Kottapuram
[C]Kollam to Kottapuram
[D]Bhadrachalam to Vijayawada
Allahabad to Haldia
Allahabad-Haldia stretch (1620 km) of the Ganga-Bhagirathi-Hooghly river system is the longest national waterway of India.
7. Chandra Prabha wild life sanctuary in Uttar Pradesh is home to which of the following endangered species?
Chandraprabha Sanctuary is situated in the eastern region of Uttar Pradesh. The Sanctuary was home to Asiatic Lions.
8. The “six degree channel” lies between which of the following Islands?
[A]Andaman and Nicobar
[B]Nicobar and Sumatra
[C]Andaman and Sumatra
[D]Sumatra and Java
Nicobar and Sumatra
The six-degree channel lies between the India’s Great Nicobar Island and Indonesia’s Sumatra Island.
9. Which of the following banks has become the country’s first bank to set up payment gateway?
[A]State Bank of India
State Bank of India
India’s largest lender State Bank of India setting up its payment gateway SBI ePay –with the objective of enrolling government entities and municipal corporations as well as small traders in the online marketplace. SBI is the first bank in India to start its own online aggregator services.
10. The “String of Pearls” is a strategy that involves establishing a series of military and economic power along sea lines of communication refers to which country?
The String of Pearl refers to the network of Chinese military and commercial facilities and relationship along its sea lines of communication, which extend from Chinese mainland to Port Sudan.