GK & Current Affairs: January 3-4, 2014
1. Who among the following has won men’s Chennai Open Tennis Trophy 2013?
Top seed Stanislas Wawrika lifted his fifth ATP world tour title and second Chennai open trophy after a convincing straight sets win over Edouard Roger Vasselin in the final.
2. The Loser festival is the most important festival celebrated in___?
The Loser festival marks the beginning of the New Year in Ladakh and China’s Tibet and considered to be the most important festival of the region. During this festival the Ladakhi Buddhists make religious offering before their deities in the domestic shrines or in the Gompas.
3. Recently, which among the following has announced to launch of an All Woman’s Insurance branch?
[B]Tata AIG General
Private General Insurer Bajaj Allianz general insurance announced the launch of an All Women Branch at their headquarters in Pune. As the name suggests this branch will have only women employees and recruit and train women agents and intermediaries. Bajaj Allianz is one of the first insurers to come up with such an initiative in the general insurance space.
4. In which one of the following states, Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) has decided to set up world’s largest corporate learning and development centre?
Tata Consultancy Services, India’s largest software services exporter has decided to set up the world’s largest corporate learning and development centre in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. The proposed centre will have capacity to train 15,000 professionals at one time and 50,000 professionals annually.
5. Who among the following has been chosen for Portugal highest honor “Order of Prince Henry”?
Cristiano Ronaldo is to be granted one of Portugal’ highest honors by the country’s President. The Real Mandrid forward, named FIFA player of the year in 2008, is Portugal’s most famous athlete.
6. The Strait of Gibraltar connects the Atlantic Ocean to the ___?
The strait of Gibraltar is a narrow strait that connects the Atlantic Ocean to the Mediterranean Sea and separates Gibraltar and Spain in Europe from Morocco in Africa.
7. According to latest Green 500 supercomputers list, PARAM Yuva II has been raked no.1 power efficient supercomputer in India. PARAM computer was developed by__?
India’s supercomputer PARAM Yuva II, developed by the Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC), has bagged 44th rank among the world’s most power efficient computer systems, according to a Green500 list announced at the supercomputing conference in Denver, US. The PARAM Yuva II supercomputer has been ranked no.1 and no.9 in the Asia Pacific Region.
8. Which among the following has created the India’s first most comprehensive “Financial Inclusion Index”, recently?
CRISIL has developed “Inclusix” India’s most comprehensive financial inclusion index for measuring the progress of financial inclusion in the country, down to district level. Inclusix, whose methodology is similar to other global indices, such as UNDP’s Human Development Index, measures financial inclusion on the three critical parameters of basic banking services-branch penetration, deposit penetration and credit penetration.
9. World Braille Day is observed on which of the following days?
10. Football legend “Eusebio Silva Ferreira” who passed away recently, belongs to which country?
Eusebio da Silva Ferreira, commonly known simply as Eusebio, was a Mozambican born Portuguese football player. He is considered one of the greatest footballers of all time. During his professional career, he scored 733 goals in 745 matches.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|