GK & Current Affairs: January 1-2, 2014
1. Which among the following US states has become the first to legalise selling of Marijuana?
The US state of Colorado is making history by becoming the first in the country to allow store to sell cannabis (Marijuana). Colorado, along with Washington State, voted to legalise the use and possession of cannabis for people over the age of 21 in November 2012. Washington is not expected to allow the sale of it until later in 2014.
2. Which one of the following countries has become the 18th Euro-area member to adopt Euro currency, recently?
Latvia has become the 18th member of the euro zone to adopt Euro. The euro became Latvia’s official currency on January 1st as New Year’s fireworks exploded in the skies over the capital, Riga.
3. Corey Anderson, who hit the fastest century in one-day international history recently, belongs to which country?
New Zealand all-rounder Corey Anderson cracked the fastest century in one-day international history, in just 36 balls against the West Indies. The previous record was held by Shahid Afridi, who took 37 balls to reach his ton playing for Pakistan against Sri Lanka in 1996.
4. With which one of the following, the Election Commission of India tie up for online voters registration?
The Election Commission of India has entered a key partnership with US based internet giant, Google, to help it to manage online voter registration and facilitation services ahead of the democratic exercise. Google will offer EC its resources, including its search engine, to enable voters to check their enrolment status online and locate their polling station, complete with directions using Google maps.
5. Who among the following is the new Air Force Chief of India?
Air Marshal Arup Raha, an ace fighter pilot took over as the Air Force Chief succeeding Air Chief Marshal NAK Browne. Raha is expected to have tenure of three years as the Chief of Air Staff.
6. World’s top three biggest coffee exporting countries are ____?
[A]Brazil, Indonesia and Vietnam
[B]Vietnam, Brazil and Indonesia
[C]Brazil, Vietnam and Indonesia
[D]Indonesia, Vietnam and Brazil
Brazil, Vietnam and Indonesia
7. Which among the following states has launched free CFL bulbs scheme for hut dwellers?
Tamil Nadu government began the first phase of distributing free Compact Fluorescent Light (CFL) bulbs to over 14 lakh hut dwellers in the state. The scheme is aimed at saving 40 mw of electricity.
8. What is the name of cyclone which is recently battered west coast of Australia?
Cyclone Christine was the third tropical cyclone and second severe tropical cyclone of the 2013-14 slammed west coast of Australia.
9. Which of the following countries has recently assumed the coveted chair of the ASEAN?
Myanmar took over the chairmanship of Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) on January 1.
10. According to latest study, which Indian city is expected to witness the highest demand for office space in the Asia during 2014?
IT hub Bangalore is expected to witness the second highest demand for office space in the Asia Pacific region during 2014 in a list topped by Tokyo, according to property consultant Cushman and Wakefield. Tokyo is forecast to see the highest office absorption among the 30 cities in Asia in 2014 at 7.6 million sq ft, followed by Bangalore at 2nd position and Manila at 3rd, with expected absorption of 6.3 million sq ft and 6 million sq ft respectively, during 2014.