General Knowledge and Current Affairs Quiz: December 26-28, 2013
1. With which one of the following countries India has signed deal for Super Hercules aircraft, recently?
India and USA have inked another mega contract, the $1.01 billion one for six additional C-130J “Super Hercules” aircraft. As per the deal six new four-engine C-130J will be delivered within three years under the US government’s foreign military sales (FMS) programme.
2. As per the latest Annual Health Survey, which state has highest percentage of girls marrying before completing 18?
Bihar continues to have the highest percentage of girls marrying before completing 18. While the percentage during the baseline survey (2008-10) was 20.2 per cent, it has now come down to 16.5 per cent.
3. In which among the following states, “Sunburn” an electronic dance music festival being organised every year?
Sunburn is an electronic dance music festival held at Candolim Beach, Goa every year. The festival is an amalgamation of music, entertainment, food and shopping, and was ranked by CNN in 2009 as the 9th Best Festival in the world.
4. The United Nation has recently declared March 3rd as ___?
[A]World Rivers Day
[B]World Wildlife Day
[C]World Nutrition Day
[D]World Poverty Day
World Wildlife Day
The UN announced March 3rd as World Wildlife Day to highlight the intrinsic values and contributions of wild animals and plants, particularly endangered and protected species, by devoting 3rd of March as “Wildlife Day”. The assembly selected 3 March for the day, to coincide with the adoption of the CITES document, an international agreement between governments of 176 member states.
5. Recently, China has said it is willing to offer its neighbouring countries use of its home grown satellite navigation system for free of charge. The satellite navigation system of China is called__?
The BeiDou navigation satellite system is a Chinese satellite navigation system. China said it has intended to widen use of the Beidou satellite network for free of cost, in a strategic push that has already garnered interest from a number of countries including Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Thailand.
6. The “Blue Mountain” one of the world’s most expensive coffee, is grown in which country?
Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee is a classification of coffee grown in the Blue Mountains of Jamaica. The best lots of Blue Mountain coffee are noted for their mild flavour and lack of bitterness. Over the last several decades, this coffee has developed a reputation that has made it one of the most expensive and sought after coffees in the world. Over 80% of the Blue Mountain coffee is exported to Japan.
7. “Aconcagua” the highest mountain in the Americas located in which country?
Aconcagua is the highest mountain in the Americas at 6,960.8 metres. It is located in the Andes Mountain range, in the provenance of Mendoza, Argentina. Recently, United States Tyler Armstrong became the youngest person to reach Aconcagua.
8. Recently, the Whale Shark Conservation Project has successfully satellite-tagged a female whale shark in which country?
The Whale Shark Conservation Project, with the help of the fishing community in Sutrapada, Gujarat, successfully satellite-tagged a female whale shark in order to learn more about the movement and preference of whale giant.
9. As per the latest census figures by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) which of the following has topped the list of non-UK born population?
For the first time, India has topped the list of non-UK born residents in the country, displacing Ireland, which held the top spot in every census since 1951, according to latest census figures analysed by the Office for National Statistics (ONS). UK resident born in India now number 694,000.
10. Which one of the following states has initiated a project for constructing resilient houses capable of withstanding earthquakes and minimise loss of lives and property?
Sikkim government has initiated a Rs 391 crore project for constructing nearly 8,000 resilient houses capable of withstanding earthquakes and minimises loss of lives and property. Under the reconstruction of earthquake damaged rural houses project, government will work on seismically strengthening 7,972 houses which were badly damaged during the September 2011 earthquake.