GK & Current Affairs: February 24-26, 2014
1. Which among the following countries has finished top in the medal tally in the recently concluded Sochi Winter Olympics?
Host nation Russia finished on top of the medal table as the 22nd Winter Olympics came to close in Sochi. Russia won 33 medals in total to ensure they topped the medal table, emulating Canada’s achievement four years ago.
2. Which among the following sectors is the largest green house gases emitter in India?
As per the latest study electricity generation in India accounted for 37.8% of GHG emissions, up by over 200% since 1994. Agriculture accounted for the second largest share of emissions (17.6%), although it has shown a notable decline in its absolute and relative emissions since 1994. The industrial and transportation sectors accounted for a large and increased share of India’s emissions mix, as the country’s GDP continues to grow at a rate over 7%.
3. The “International Woolmark Prize” is an award given in which of the following fields?
[D]Small Scale Industry
The International Woolmark Prize is a fashion design award that identifies the world’s foremost emerging designers, whilst highlighting the diverse interpretation of Merino wool within their collection.
4. Which of the following species of rhinoceros is said to be the most critically endangered species?
[B]African black rhino
[C]Indian one-horned rhinos
5. The Bimal Jalan panel which submitted its report recently was set up by RBI to ___?
[A]Suggest minimise the NPA asset
[B]Scrutinize application for new bank licences
[C]Frame guidelines for financial inclusion
[D]Study use of mobiles in delivering banking services
Scrutinize application for new bank licences
The Bimal Jalan panel which was set up by the RBI to scrutinize application for new bank licences has submitted its report. The committee was headed by former RBI governor Dr Jalan.
6. “Prokash Karmakar” who passed away recently was a famous____?
Prokash Karmakar was a famous painter. He has won many prestigious awards including the Lalit Kala Akademi National Award in 1968 for his paintings. His works are part of famous galleries including the National Gallery of Modern Art, Lalit Kala Akademi in Delhi and Lucknow.
7. The Group-20 countries represents about ____ per cent of the world’s economy. Fill the blank with correct option.
The Group twenty finance ministers and central bank governors is a group of finance ministers and central bank governors from 20 major economies. Collectively, the G20 represents about 85% of the world’s economy.
8. Which among the following has won the second edition of Hero Hockey India League?
[B]Jaypee Punjab Warriors
Delhi Waveriders defeated Jaypee Punjab Warriors in the penalty shoot-out to emerge as the champion in the second edition of Hero Hockey India League.
9. The Troika, which refers to a 3-part commission charged with monitoring the EU debt crisis is made up of __?
[A]EU, European Commission and World Bank
[B]EU, European Commission and IMF
[C]World Bank, EU and IMF
[D]IMF, EU and UN
EU, European Commission and IMF
The Troika is currently made up of the European Union, European Commission and International Monetary Fund.
10. Who among the following has become the first Indian President of Administrative Tribunal of the Asian Development Bank (ADB)?
Lakshmi Swaminathan has been elected has president of Administrative Tribunal of the Asian Development Bank for three years. Swaminathan is the seventh president of the Tribunal. She is the first Indian to become the president of the tribunal.