GK & Current Affairs: October 19-20, 2013
1. In October 2013, RBI cuts Marginal Standing Facility (MSF) by 50bps. The new MSF has been fixed at ___?
The RBI has reduced the marginal standing facility (MSF) rate, at which banks barrow from it, to 9 per cent from 9.5 per cent to improve liquidity in the system.
2. Which of the following nations has signed a comprehensive free trade agreement with European Union?
Canada and EU have reached an agreement in principle on a comprehensive free trade agreement. The Canada-EU Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA) have been in negotiations since 2009. The agreement will provide Canada with preferential market access to the European Union’s more than 500 million consumers.
3. Jnanpith Awardee, Dr Ravuri Bharadwaj, who passed away recently, was an eminent writer in ___
Eminent Telugu writer and Jnanpith awardee Ravuri Bharadhwaja, breathed his last. The popular writer is created with penning 37 collections of short stories, 17 novels, four play-lets and five radio plays. He contributed profusely to children’s literature.
4. At which of the following places India’s largest Air Traffic Control Tower has been inaugurated recently?
[A]Bangalore International Airport
[B]Rajiv Gandhi International Airport
[C]Indira Gandhi International Airport
[D]Mumbai International Airport
Mumbai International Airport
India’s tallest Air Traffic Control tower standing at 84 meters or nearly as high as a 30 storey building was inaugurated outside the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport. Spread over a 2,800 square metre area, it is equipped with the latest technology, including electronic flight strips which lessen the workload of the controllers, increase safety and overall capacity of the airport.
5. What is the name of joint military exercise, which was started by Indian and Russian armies recently?
A joint exercise INDRA 2013 between Indian and Russian armies started in Mahajan Field Firing Range in Thar Desert of Rajasthan. This exercise is named at improving bilateral defence cooperation between two armies and enhances their ability to operate as integrated forces in a well coordinated manner. This is the 7th Indian and Russian joint army exercise.
6. In October 2013, which of the following countries have been elected to UN to serve as non-permanent members on the Security Council?
Chose the correct answer from the codes given below:
[A]Only 1, 2 & 3
[B]Only 2, 3 & 4
[C]Only 1, 3 & 5
[D]1, 2, 3, 4 & 5
1, 2, 3, 4 & 5
The United Nations General Assembly elected Chad, Chile, Lithuania, Nigeria and Saudi Arabia to serve as non-permanent members on the Security Council for two-year terms beginning on 1 January 2014.
7. “At The Close of Play” is an upcoming autobiography of which cricket player?
At The Close of Play is upcoming autobiography from Australia’s former cricket team captain Ricky Ponting.
8. Consider the following personalities:
1. R S Butola
2. Sudhir Vasudeva
3. B C Tripathi
Which of the following is correctly represents the organisations they represent?
[A]IOC, GAIL, ONGC
[B]GAIL, IOC, ONGC
[C]IOC, ONGC, GAIL
[D]GAIL, ONGC, IOC
IOC, ONGC, GAIL
R S Butola is chairman of Indian Oil Corporation (IOC), Sudhir Vasudeva is chairman of ONGC and B C Tripati is chairman of GAIL.
9. Who among the following has been presented with first Yash Chopra Memorial Award?
[A]A P J Kalam
Legendary singer Lata Mangeshkar was presented the first Yash Chopra Memorial Award. Dedicated to the memory of veteran director Yash Chopra, the award carries a cash prize of 10 lakh rupees and a citation.
10. According to International Monetary Fund (IMF) figures how many commercial bank branches are there in India per 100,000 adults?
IMF figures suggest that there are still only 11.38 commercial bank branches per 100,000 adults in India. In the U.S., for example there are 35.26 commercial bank branches per 100,000 adults according to IMF statistics.
« Previous QuizNext Quiz »