GK & Current Affairs : February 27-28, 2014
1. Which of the following countries are not members of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO)?
Chose the correct answer from the codes given below:
[A]Only 1 & 2
[B]Only 2 & 3
[C]Only 1 & 3
[D]Only 2 & 4
Only 1 & 3
The Shanghai Cooperation Organisation is a Eurasian political, economic and military organisation which was founded in 2001 in Shanghai by the leaders of China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan.
2. Who among the following has been appointed as new Prime Minister of Egypt in February 2014?
[D]Abdel Fatah al-Sisi
Ibrahim Mehlib, a former member of Hosni Mubarak’s political party has been appointed as Egypt’s new Prime Minister.
3. Which of the following states has become the first to legally ban consumption of all forms of smokeless tobacco?
Assam became the first state to legally ban consumption of all forms of smokeless tobacco, including pan masala containing tobacco and nicotine, through an act.
4. The Khyber tribal area, which has been restive in recent times is a region in __?
5. Which among the following state has got Krishi Karman award 2014 for foodgrain production of more than 10 million tonnes?
For total foodgrain production, Madhya Pradesh gets the award in large category (foodgrain production more than 10 million tonnes), Odisha in medium category (foodgrain production 1 to 10 million tonnes) and Manipur in small category (foodgrain production less than 1 million tonnes).
In individual foodgrain crops, Chhattisgarh gets the award for rice, Bihar for wheat, Jharkhand for pulses and Andhra Pradesh for coarse cereals.
Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal, Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Mizoram and Tripura get commendation prizes for total foodgrain production. Maharashtra gets commendation prize for rice, Assam for pulses and Punjab and Haryana for rice and wheat.
6. Recently, the Theatre Level Operational Readiness Exercise (Tropex) was conducted by __?
[C]Indian Air Force
[D]Border Security Force
The Indian Navy’s major annual exercise ‘TROPEX’ (Theatre Level Operational Readiness Exercise) concluded recently. The exercise involved large scale naval manoeuvres in all three dimensions viz. surface, air and underwater, across the Bay of Bengal, Arabian Sea and the Indian Ocean.
7. Approximately, what fraction of India’s GDP is shared by the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) sector?
MSME Accounts for 8 per cent of the Country’s GDP, 45 per cent of its Manufactured Output and 43 per cent of our Exports. It provides employment to over 10 crore people.
8. Chandi Prasad Bhatt is a well known ___?
Chandi Prasad Bhatt is the winner of Gandhi Peace Prize For 2013. Bhatt, born in 1934 , is a noted Gandhian environmentalist and social activist. He was one of the pioneers of the Chipko movement for which he was awarded the Ramon Magsaysay Award in 1982. He is also a recipient of the Padma Bhushan in 2005. One of India’s first modern environmentalists, today he is known for his work on subaltern social ecology
9. Who among the following is the writer of CRPF theme song?
Mr. Javed Akhtar, India’s famous lyricist has written the theme song, which has been sung by noted singer Mr. Javed Ali and composed by Music Director Mr. Raju Singh.
10. The Model Code of Conduct has become an instrument of immense importance and legitimacy in Indian Elections today. In which among the following elections, Model Code of Conduct found its origins?
[A]Lok Sabha Elections 1967
[B]Kerala Assembly Elections 1960
[C]Rajasthan Assembly Elections 1962
[D]Karnataka Assembly Elections 1967
Kerala Assembly Elections 1960
The origin of the MCC dates back to 1960 when the MCC started as a small set of Dos and Don’ts for the Assembly election in Kerala in 1960.