GK & Current Affairs Questions: September 29-30, 2013
1. In the wake of India’s low performance in the rankings of higher educational institutions in world, the Union government has recently set up a committee for evaluation of research and ranking in the country. The Chairman of the committee is ___ ?
[A]K Vijay Raghavan
K Vijay Raghavan
In the wake of India’s low performance in the rankings of higher educational institutions in world, the union government of India formed a committee under the chairmanship of K Vijay Raghavan, secretary department of biotechnology for evaluation of research and rankings by promoting healthy competition among institutions, departments and individual researchers.
2. India’s Swaran Singh Virk is associated with which of the following sports/games?
Swaran Singh Virk is an Indian rower. He clinched gold at the 15th Asian Senior Rowing Championship in China.
3. Recently (September, 2013),in which of the following cities China launched its first “Free Trade Zone”?
China launched its first free trade zone (FTZ) in Shanghai that will ease restrictions on the Yuan, trade and investment to transform the world’s second-largest economy under new leadership. The Shanghai FTZ, a pet project of Premier Li Keqiang, was expected to pose a stiff competition to international trade hub Hong Kong.
4. In September 2013, “Sarah Outen” became the first woman to row solo from Japan to Alaska. She belongs to which country?
Sarah Outen an adventure from the Britain who spent 150 days at sea to became the first woman from Japan to Alaska. She started from Choshi, Japan and sailed 3,750 miles to reach Aleutian Island in Alaska.
5. Which of the following statements is true about “TomTato”?
[A]A new mammal species discovered in UK
[B]A plant produces both tomatoes and potatoes
[C]A man eating fish species
[D]New element discovered under deep sea
A plant produces both tomatoes and potatoes
A plant that produces both tomatoes and potatoes, called the TomTato, has been developed for the UK market. Ipswich-based horticulture firm Thompson and Morgan said the hybrid plants were not genetically modified.
6. Who among the following has been appointed as permanent representative of India to UNESCO?
[B]V S Oberoi
[C]Vijay Keshav Ghokhale
Ruchir Kamboj, currently the Chief of Protocol, has been appointed as the next Permanent Representative of India to UNESCO, Paris, with the rank of ambassador. The 1987-batch IFS officer, Kamboj will succeed V S Oberoi.
7. Which of the following entities/funds are eligible to get registered as Foreign Institutional Investors?
Chose the correct answer from the codes given below:
[A]Only 1, 2 & 3
[B]Only 1, 2 & 4
[C]Only 2, 3 & 4
[D]1, 2, 3 & 4
1, 2, 3 & 4
8. Who among the following is “Miss World 2013”?
[C]Naa Okailey Shooter
Philippines beauty Megan Young was crowned Miss World 2013 after beating 130 contestants across the globe. This is the first time Miss Philippines has been awarded the title in the 63rd Miss World grand final pageant on the resort island of Bali. France’s Marine Lorphelin was the first runner-up, while
Ghana’s Naa Okailey Shooter was the second runner-up.
9. Under the Mahatma Ghandi National Rural Employment Guarantee (MGNREGA) Scheme the wage and material ratio should be maintained at?
As per para 9 of MGNREGA schedule-1 60:40 wage and material ratio has to be maintained.
10. Who among the following has been named as the PGA Tour’s Player of the Year?
Tiger Woods named PGA Tour’s player of the Year for a record 11th time with fellow American Jordan Spieth Rookie of the year.
You are not logged into GKToday. Please click below icons to register or login and take this test.
Category: Daily Current Affairs Quiz « Previous QuizNext Quiz »