GK & Current Affairs: March 8-9, 2014
1. Who among the following has won the World Snooker Championship-2014 title?
Mark Selby won his first world title by defeating defending champion Ronnie O’Sullivan 18-14. This was Selby’s fourth ranking title and made him the ninth player to complete snooker’s Triple Crown of World Championship, UK championship, and master titles.
2. In India, monetary policy is controlled by ____?
[C]Reserve Bank of India
Reserve Bank of India
In India, the central monetary authority is the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) is so designed as to maintain the price stability in the economy.
3. Which among the following parties has won the national election of South Africa held recently?
[B]African National Congress
[C]The Economic Freedom Fighter
[D]Democratic Social Party
African National Congress
South Africa’s ruling party African National Congress has won the national election. ANC has won 62.1 percent of the vote, while the main opposition party, the Democratic Alliance won 22.2 per cent of the vote.
4. Recently, United Nations has voted to establish a Medal for exceptional courage in the name of an unarmed UN peacemaker from Senegal ____?
[C]Prince Zeid al Hussein
The UN Security Council voted unanimously to establish a UN medal for exceptional courage in the name of the unarmed UN peacekeeper from Senegal Captain Mbaye Diagne, who lost his life after saving hundreds of Rwandans from death in the 1994 genocide. The resolution, sponsored by Jordan, creates “the Captain Mbay Diagne Medal for Exceptional Courage” to be awarded to UN military, police, civilians and associated personal’s, who demonstrate exceptional courage, in the face of extreme danger.
5. Recently, which among the following countries has imposed ban on import of chilli pepper from India?
Saudi Arabia has banned import of chilli pepper from India, citing the presence of high pesticide residues in it. Saudi Arabia is the fifth largest importer of fresh vegetables from India.
6. The “SGR-A1” is a military robot sentry belongs to which country?
The SGR-A1 is a South Korean military robot sentry designed to replace human counterparts in the demilitarized zone at the South and North Korea border.
7. The “Dinka” people are largest ethnic group inhabiting in ____?
The Dinka people are an ethnic group inhabiting the Bahr el Ghazal a region of western South Sudan. Dinka people are largest ethnic tribe in South Sudan.
8. Which among the following is not a party to the Central Asian Nuclear-Weapon-Free Zone (CANWFZ)?
The CANWFZ is a treaty legally binding commitment by Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan not to manufacture, acquire, test or possess nuclear weapons.
9. Which among the following countries is the India’s only land bridge to Southeast Asia?
Myanmar is India’s only land bridge to Southeast Asia and the Indo-Burmese border stretches over 1,600 kilometres.
10. Who among the following has won men’s single Mandrid Master title-2014?
Rafael Nadal won his fourth Mandrid Masters title 2014. Top seed Nadal claim a 2-6, 6-4, 3-0 win for his 27th Master title and 63rd career crown.