GK & Current Affairs : January 21-23, 2014
1. Recently, which of the following states has won United Nation award for sustainable tourism?
Kerala Tourism has been conferred the United Nation Award for creating innovative initiatives for sustainable tourism, the first time India has ever won the recognition.
2. Which among the following has become the first public University to accept the fee in Bitcoin currency?
Cumbria University has become the first Public University to accept the fee in Bitcoin currency. Bitcoin currency payment of fee is acceptable to two new courses on the roles of complimentary currencies in Economic System.
3. Recently, “Laimdota Straujuma” has become the first female Prime Minister of which country?
Laimdota Straujuna became the first female Prime Minister of Latvia after lawmakers have confirmed country’s first government led by female prime minister.
4. MINT is a newly developed acronym for group of countries which are promising investment destination. Which of the following correctly represents MINT countries?
[A]Myanmar, India, Nepal and Thailand
[B]Mexico, Indonesia, Nigeria and Turkey
[C]Malaysia, Indonesia, Nigeria and Thailand
[D]Mexico, India, Nepal and Turkey
Mexico, Indonesia, Nigeria and Turkey
5. Which one of the following has been named “Leader in Worldwide Life Science Manufacturing and Supply Chain ITO”, recently?
IT major Wipro has been named “Leader in Worldwide Life Science Manufacturing and Supply Chain ITO” by technology research and advisory firm International Data Corporation (IDC).
6. The RBI has recently decided to withdraw from circulation of currency notes that had been issued before___?
The Reserve Bank of India warned that it would withdraw from circulation all banknotes that had been issued before 2005, including Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 denominations. According to central bank advisory, anybody who had such currency notes would have to approach a bank in order to exchange them before April 1, 2014. RBI would start withdrawing the notes after March 31, 2014 in a move apparently aimed at curbing black money and fake currencies.
7. Akkineni Nageswara Rao, who passed away recently, was a legendary actor in ___?
Akkineni Nageswara Rao was a legendary Telugu actor. Born on September 20, 1923 this first generation actor in Telugu debuted with Dharmapatni in 1941. He went on to showcase his skills as an actor par excellence in 256 films, including Devadasu, Laila Majnu, Anarkali, Prem Nagar and Megha Sandesham to name a few. Among the awards he has received in recognition of his work are Padma Vibhushan, Dada Saheb Phalke Award and NTR National award.
8. Which among the following has been named “destination flyways” by United Nation World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO), recently?
[A]Sunder bans Delta
Odisha’s Chilika lagoon, which is a hotspot for biodiversity, has been named destination flyways by United Nation World Tourism Organisation following its inclusion in a list of eight such sites worldwide. The lagoon was so named for its sustainable and resilient destination for migratory birds. Chilika lake is the only site to be selected from Asia by the UNWTO.
9. Pranlal Patel, who passed away recently, was a well known___?
Pranlal Patel was a veteran photographer. He was one of the pioneer photographers, who had taken pictures during the pre-independence, post-independence and post-liberalisation eras. He is remembered for his photographs of Mahatma Gandhi, Nehru and Sardar Patel. He was reserved as an icon among the photographers in Gujarat. Patel was also associated with media industry.
10. Which of the following has been declared as the worst password on the Internet for the year 2013?
The most commonly used online password of 2013 “123456” has been declared as the worst password on the internet for the year.