GK & Current Affairs : January 17-20, 2014
1. Who among the following has become the first woman director of “National Police Academy”?
Aruna Bahugan has been appointed as the new chief of the Hyderabad-based National Police Academy. Bahuguna, a 1979-batch IPS officer, will be first woman Director of the 65-year-old institution also known as the Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel National Police Academy.
2. The Union government has recently granted minority status to Jain community. The top three states with largest Jain population in the country are ___?
[A]Maharashtra, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh
[B]Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh
[C]Karnataka, Rajasthan, Maharashtra
[D]Rajasthan, Maharashtra, Karnataka
Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh
3. Which among the following drugmaker companies has launched anti-cancer drug CANMab, recently?
[A]Dr. Reddy Laboratories
Biotechnology Company Biocon launched a new and cheaper drug to treat “metastatic” breast cancer that aggressively spreads to other parts of the body. Biocon which developed the drug in association with US frugmaker Mylan received the approval for CANMAb, the biosimilar version of anti-cancer drug Herceptin.
4. The “Lupus” is a medical condition arising from deficiency of which among the following ?
Lupus is a name given to a collection of autoimmune diseases, in which the human immune system becomes hyperactive and attacks normal, healthy tissues. Symptoms of these diseases can affect many different body systems, including joints, skin, kidney, blood cells, heart and lungs.
5. Park Geun-hye, who visited India recently, is a president of which country?
Park Geun-hye is the eleventh and current President of South Korea. She is the first woman to be elected as President in South Korea.
6. The National Museum of India Cinema (NMIC) is to come up in_____?
The National Museum of India Cinema will open in Mumbai. Situated over a 6,000 square feet area in Gulshan Mahal, a heritage building it will house an interactive walkthrough down memory lane of India cinema, now considered the biggest in world.
7. Which one of the following statements is true about “RoboEarth”?
[A]It is a worldwide web for Robots
[B]A robotic satellite launched to study earth
[C]Military robot mission developed by USA
[D]India’s first robotic mission to study earth
It is a worldwide web for Robots
RoboEarth is a world wide web for robots: a giant network and database repository where robots can share information and learn from each other about their behaviour and their environment. The goal of RoboEarth is to allow robotic systems to benefit from the experience of other robots, paving the way for rapid advances in machine cognition and behaviour, and ultimately, for more subtle and sophisticated human-machine interaction.
8. Who among the following have won Best Actor and Actress award at 20th Screen Award?
[A]Farhan Akhtar, Kareena Kapur
[B]Amir Khan, Deepika Padukone
[C]Farhan Akhtar, Deepika Padukone
[D]Salman Khan, Katrina Kaif
Farhan Akhtar, Deepika Padukone
Farhan Akhtar and Deepika Padukone have won best actor and actress awards respectively at 20th Screen awards. Farhan Akhtar won this award for his performance in Bhaag Milkha Bhaag. Deepika Padukone won this award for her stunning performance in the movie Ram Leela.
9. Which among the following has become the first tea plantation in the country to bag Trusttea logo?
Wentworth Estate of Harrison Malayalam Limited located in Nilagiris district has become the first tea estate in India to be verified under the India sustainable tea programme which assigns the Trusttea logo to certified tea estate. The verification evaluates tea estate’s commitment to social and economic condition of the work force, environment protection and sustainability issues and safety at work place and product safety.
10. Recently, in which of the following states remains of an ancient university have been discovered?
Remains of an ancient university have been discovered at the Buddhist monastery site of Telhara in Nalanda district of Bihar. Telhara was visited by Chinese traveller Heuen Tsang in the 7th century AD, and it was mention in his account.