GK & Current Affairs: May 1, 2014
1. Former Indian Air Force Chief N K Browne has been appointed as India’s next ambassador to____?
Former Chief of the Air Staff Norman Anil Kumar Browne has been appointed as India’s next Ambassador to Norway. Air Chief Marshal Browne will succeed Mr RK Tyagi as India’s envoy to Norway
2. According to World Bank report, India has replaced which among the following countries to become third largest economy based on purchasing power parity (PPP)?
As per the World Bank report India replaced Japan as the world’s third largest economy as far back as 2011. The ranking is based on purchasing power parity (PPP) in dollar terms.
3. The newly formed Telangana state has how many assembly and Parliamentary seats?
[A]120 and 17
[B]119 and 17
[C]134 and 20
[D]125 and 23
119 and 17
The Telangana has 119 assembly seats and 17 parliamentary seats.
4. Which among the following hormones is popularly called “happiness hormone”?
Serotonin is popularly called the happiness hormone. It regulates the mood, prevents depression and makes feeling happy.
5. The “Project 75I” of India is a project related to ___?
The project 75 is one of the India’s most closely guarded military projects. Under this project stealth, land-attack capability and the ability to incorporate futuristic technologies, all the new submarines will be equipped with air-independent system to boost their operational capabilities.
6. Who among the following has been honoured as the Most Popular All Time International Star in India at IIFA awards 2013-14?
John Travolta the famous super star of Hollywood honoured as most popular All Time International Star in International Indian Film Academy (IIFA) awards 2014.
7. “Fighting Poverty in Asia and the Pacific” is the motto of ______?
[C]Asian Development Bank
Asian Development Bank
8. The so called Northern Limit Line is a disputed maritime demarcation line between _____?
[A]Russia and China
[B]China and Japan
[C]North Korea and South Korea
[D]Germany and France
North Korea and South Korea
The Northern Limit Line or North Limit Line is a disputed maritime demarcation line in the Yellow sea between the Democractic People’s Republic f Korea on the north and the Republic of Korea on the south. This line of military control acts as the de facto maritime boundary between North and South Korea.
9. Which among the following Stock Exchanges will shut it operation after it failed to adhere to several new regulatory requirements?
[A]Bangalore Stock Exchange
[B]Madras Stock Exchange
[C]Bombay Stock Exchange
[D]Delhi Stock Exchange
Madras Stock Exchange
The 76 year old Madras Stock Exchange will cease to exist from May 30 after it failed to adhere to several new regulatory requirements, including increased net worth as outlined by market regulator Sebi.
10. Porcine Epidemic Diarrhoea Virus (PEDv) affects which among the following animals?
Porcine Epidemic Diarrhoea Virus (PEDv) has killed some seven million piglets in the US in the past year. The disease has also been found in Canada, Mexico and Japan. It is not harmful to human.